What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yugoslavian made practice Mills grenade

goran_croatia

mills1.jpegmills2.jpegmills3.jpeg

This school model of Mills grenade was used in early period after ww2 in Yugoslavian Peoples Army military schools as a classrom model for soldiers and in Yugoslavian Peoples Army military bases as practice grenade for training soldiers in throwing Mills grenade.
Yugoslavian partizans got large quantity of british Mills grenades in form of allied help during 1944 and 1945. After the end of ww2 Yugoslavian Peoples Army storaged Mills grenades in their military bases depots,and this yugoslavian made classroom model of Mills was made from cast aluminium and it was totally inert,as I said,used as practice grenade and classroom model. Yugoslavia never produced live version of Mills,all live Mills grenades used in early period of Yugoslavian Peoples Army were british made,just repainted in olivegreen colour from early period of Yugoslavian Peoples Army. Only these practice Mills grenades were yugoslavian made.
In the early after ww2 period Yugoslavian Peoples Army used several hues of olivegreen colour and from 1960 till 1990 the hue of Yugoslavian Peoples army colour was standardized as light hue of olivegrey colour. For example Yugoslavian parachute knifes M 51 were painted in the same hue of olivegreen as these practice Mills grenades. This practice Mills was withdrawn from classrooms in 1950s because Mills grenades were completly withdrawn from yugoslavian hand grenades arsenal. That's why this practice yugoslavian made Mills is so rare today. Notice that all parts were cast aluminium except steel safety lever,safety pin and ring of the safety pin. On this grenade from my collection safety lever is missing. The grenade was overall painted in this olivegreen colour from early period of Yugoslavian Peoples Army. The colour is pretty worn off. Guys give me the advice-to restore it or not?

Nice grenade . Add a new arming lever but leave the rest as it is to keep its history intact .

Interesting Mills - agree with everyone else - leave as is, do not restore.

One thing I am curious about is that in this cast aluminium version there are no cut out lugs for the conventional lever to fit, looks to be a hole drilled through and a bar inserted. Do you have any idea as to what the lever looked like that was fitted to this one?

Thankyou also for a great write up, I'm sure the Mills guys will enjoy this one!!

regards Kev

View attachment 63279View attachment 63280View attachment 63281

This school model of Mills grenade was used in early period after ww2 in Yugoslavian Peoples Army military schools as a classrom model for soldiers and in Yugoslavian Peoples Army military bases as practice grenade for training soldiers in throwing Mills grenade.
Yugoslavian partizans got large quantity of british Mills grenades in form of allied help during 1944 and 1945. After the end of ww2 Yugoslavian Peoples Army storaged Mills grenades in their military bases depots,and this yugoslavian made classroom model of Mills was made from cast aluminium and it was totally inert,as I said,used as practice grenade and classroom model. Yugoslavia never produced live version of Mills,all live Mills grenades used in early period of Yugoslavian Peoples Army were british made,just repainted in olivegreen colour from early period of Yugoslavian Peoples Army. Only these practice Mills grenades were yugoslavian made.
In the early after ww2 period Yugoslavian Peoples Army used several hues of olivegreen colour and from 1960 till 1990 the hue of Yugoslavian Peoples army colour was standardized as light hue of olivegrey colour. For example Yugoslavian parachute knifes M 51 were painted in the same hue of olivegreen as these practice Mills grenades. This practice Mills was withdrawn from classrooms in 1950s because Mills grenades were completly withdrawn from yugoslavian hand grenades arsenal. That's why this practice yugoslavian made Mills is so rare today. Notice that all parts were cast aluminium except steel safety lever,safety pin and ring of the safety pin. On this grenade from my collection safety lever is missing. The grenade was overall painted in this olivegreen colour from early period of Yugoslavian Peoples Army. The colour is pretty worn off. Guys give me the advice-to restore it or not?

Could this be the correct colors for the HE Mills..... Dave

HPIM7117.jpg

Interesting Mills - agree with everyone else - leave as is, do not restore.

One thing I am curious about is that in this cast aluminium version there are no cut out lugs for the conventional lever to fit, looks to be a hole drilled through and a bar inserted. Do you have any idea as to what the lever looked like that was fitted to this one?

Thankyou also for a great write up, I'm sure the Mills guys will enjoy this one!!

regards Kev
I saw original lever for this grenade because the friend who gave it to me has the same grenade in his collection but with safety lever.Next week I will made the repro of original lever and fit it to my practice Mills.It is very simply made so it won't be problem to make it.

It looks very similar to mine yugoslavian made with the hue of the colour-But on yugoslavian hue is slightly darker than on this one yours.

I decided to restorate my yugoslavian practice Mills. So you may expect in the next couple of weeks in "restoration" part of B.O.C.N. pics and step by step description of my restoration project.