What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 m/m x 163. Type 96 Dummy.

Bockscar

Thanks to Olaf Greves excellent site on Japanese ammunition, I have confirmed that the Japanese 25 m/m x 163 dummy round that I have had in my collection for some time, is exactly that. My round has all the attributes that Olaf describes on his site with regards to one particular type of dummy round.
The one piece case and projectile have been profile machined from solid steel and the interior has been machined hollow, the fuse is a solid brass turned unit. The threaded removeable base section in my example is locked in place by a very small grub screw. Apparently the round should be painted black but it was in bare steel when I acquired it. The only markings present appear to be acceptance stamps or something similar due to their small size.The only downside to all this is the fact that someone in its past has seen fit to drill and tap the base...no doubt at some time it has spent some time doing desk duty!

Attachments

• ammunition 021.jpg
    ammunition 021.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 68
  • ammunition 011.jpg
    ammunition 011.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 51
  • ammunition 012.jpg
    ammunition 012.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 48
  • ammunition 002.jpg
    ammunition 002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 56
I suppose the hole in the base could be carefully welded up and then turned off flush.

Falcon

The threaded hole in the base could easily be welded up and machined back if need be, but its been like that since I got it some years back now and to be honest it doesnt really bother me. On the other hand I could make it back into a desk ornament really quickly!

Last edited by a moderator: