What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9mm ammunition containers, how old?

Anders

Ordnance Approved/premium membership
Ordnance approved
Can any of you guys tell when these ammunition boxes were introduced? They are made from double sided aluminium and the lid is sealed with a heavy rubber gasket making it water and air tight. Looks like that they have been made for rough handling and maybe air droppings. Each box is packed with a first aid bandage and two anti-moister linen bags.

Some of them have 65 with white cartridges signs painted, and the ammunition is also marked 1965. But some of the other boxes only have the yellow cartridges sign painted on the boxes and the ammunition is from 1943.

I was wondering if the yellow marked boxes have been re-packed or if they could be from W.W.II?

Attachments

• 9mm.jpg
    9mm.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 180
I recognise the style of cardboard box and lable but I havn't seen the style of box before. And I've never heard of first field dressings being placed in an ammunition container.

Is there anything stamped into the base or ends of the boxes?

And I've never heard of first field dressings being placed in an ammunition container.
Thats why I think they have been made for airdrops directly into the battlefield or for resistance fighthers in the occupied countries during W.W.II.
Is there anything stamped into the base or ends of the boxes?
Not that I can see.

What are the dates on the cardboard boxes, the first field dressings and is there any indication of the country of origin of the FFD?

Hi Anders,
Please can you post some close ups of the boxes? I dont recognise the outer containers either. My guess with regards to the dressing is it is to pack out the void that is left when all the boxes have been inserted. If the void were left empty the cartons could move and the ammunition contained could be damaged. Voids were usually filled with either a block of wood or pieces of card. Perhaps the packers had an abundance of spare dressings.
Please post some more pictures:tinysmile_shy_t:
Cheers
Hangarman

Informed guessing but, I would say air mail ammo for sure. The field dressing is a nice gesture, considering that the guys picking it up sometimes had to do it under fire....
Soren

I've left the following message on another forum, they might be able to identify it there.

Does anyone know what these boxes are? They contain 9mm ammunition in boxes of 48. They also contain 2 packs of absorbent gel and a first field dressing as part of the packaging which I find bizarre. They don't have codes, date and manufacturer stamped into the box anywhere and they don't look like any other box that I have ever seen.

Picture inserted here.

The original thread can be found here: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/9mm-ammunition-containers-t75630.html?t=75630

I'm going on my holidays for two weeks tonight so I wont be able to pass info between the 2 forums.

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=64369

Please post some more pictures:tinysmile_shy_t:

The manufacturer of the FFD is Robinson & Sons Limited, Chesterfield, dated July/December 1942. The ammunition is stamped with the broad arrow and 44. The date stamp on the boxes is blurred and impossible to read.

Attachments

• Box-Web.jpg
    Box-Web.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 83
Hi Anders,
Thanks for the extra picture. Do you know where the containers came from? I guess from your location they were found locally, which would make sense to think they were packed for Air dropping. The things that turn up in your country never cease to amaze me. All we get over here are empty boxes that have had oily tools in them for 50 years.
Cheers
Hangarman

Hi Anders,
Thanks for the extra picture. Do you know where the containers came from? I guess from your location they were found locally, which would make sense to think they were packed for Air dropping.
Hi Hangarman,
No I am not familiar with the exact location other than it was found on Sjlland (Sealand).
The things that turn up in your country never cease to amaze me. All we get over here are empty boxes that have had oily tools in them for 50 years.
I am so sorry to hear that... :tinysmile_hmm_t:
Yes we do find a couple of interesting things once in a while, thanks to you guys. :tinysmile_classes_t

I recognise the style of cardboard box and lable but I havn't seen the style of box before. And I've never heard of first field dressings being placed in an ammunition container.
Yes there is nothing unusual with the ammunition, it is standard British 9mm Parabellum.

But I have now been informed that the boxes are US (NATO) made from mid 1960, they were stores associated with a NATO plan to harass the Soviet Army if it invaded Denmark. Similar stores have been found in other countries, especially Norway.

Thanks for the update Anders. No wonder i didnt recognise the container. Are some of the rounds dated 1965 or was that just a number on one of the boxes.
Hangarman

Thanks for the update Anders. No wonder i didnt recognise the container. Are some of the rounds dated 1965 or was that just a number on one of the boxes.
Hangarman
Yes the rounds in the boxes with the "65" white "bullets" painted are from 1965.
The rounds in the boxes with the yellow "bullets" painted are from 1944.