What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Box 437/1 for three green flares

mausernut

Found this black tin at the last local militaria show. Seems that it has been reused as the glossy enamel has been painted over with matt black and restencilled.
Could not find it in the consolidated list though, but I may not be looking hard enough...:tinysmile_hmm_t:
Soren
PB152604-r.jpg

No, no stampings or anything visible printed, but the bottom has been painted matt black along with the lower sides.
Soren

Hi mausernut

this is a empty cartridge for your box.
Lot 130
6/53 SWN
I found it in Denmark!

Best regards
Horst

Attachments

• PICT0019.jpg
    PICT0019.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 26
  • PICT0020.jpg
    PICT0020.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0021.jpg
    PICT0021.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 25
I found it in Denmark!
Aber Horst, Eutin liegt doch schon lange nicht mehr in Dnemark ... :ridinghorse: :tinysmile_twink_t:

Hej Sren,
det danske navn p disse britiske patroner er "M.45 E"
Venligst hilsen
Mathias

I've got one of these, dated September 1967, for:
3 Cartridges.
1" Illuminating
L3A1

Small raised dot on the lid, rather than the triangle.

Will try to get some photos up tomorrow.

All the best,
PB

The box appears to have original markings. The generic info was stencilled while the batch key identity (BKI - lot number filler and date of filling) was hand painted. It is an inner container as would have been packed into a steel H83 container or something else if the ammo was earlier. The ammo was for the 1 inch signal pistol. Later versions of the Box No 437 were made of plastic and were easier to open. I seem to remember that all (metal and plastic inner containers) may have been sealed with tape - necessary to prevent moisture getting in to cardboard cases, as these swell and if too swollen will not fit into the weapon. Earlier cartridges were made of cardboard with a brass base while later cartridges were of aluminium. The designs on the lids were for night identification. The aluminium cartridges were also identified by milling (as on the edge of a 10 pence coin) around the base, as follows:
Illuminating - Half milled.
Green - No milling at all, smooth.
Red - All milled.
Yellow - Quarter milled.

Attachments

• CNV00001.JPG
    CNV00001.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 17
  • CNV00002.JPG
    CNV00002.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 17
  • CNV00003.JPG