What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daves 67 fuze

SG500

Premium Member
Just a couple of photos of my latest addition, a 67 fuze for a butterfly bomb.

Its already in very good condition but soon will be even better with some sympathetic cleaning.

Its even got the number 5 stenciled on the side (5 minute delay).:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

All INERT etc.

Dave.

Attachments

• 67 002.jpg
    67 002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 67 004.jpg
    67 004.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 67 003.jpg
    67 003.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 107
  • 67 005.jpg
    67 005.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 67 001.jpg
    67 001.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 100
Whoa!! Thats a cracker there Dave!

Bakelite pot too,what a bonus! Excellent acquisition.

best

waff

Just a couple of photos of my latest addition, a 67 fuze for a butterfly bomb.

Its already in very good condition but soon will be even better with some sympathetic cleaning.

Its even got the number 5 stenciled on the side (5 minute delay).:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

All INERT etc.

Dave.

Great Addition there Dave :xd: Looks like its been tucked up nicely somewhere.

Best phil

Thanks guys, yes I was dead happy to get that one, it'll be getting pride of place in the butterfly bomb collection!
Dave.

Very nice one Dave, check out the AZ and Ziet markings on the top, done as a dummy by the looks of it. Have only ever seen those on early BD sketches and was dismissive as to their existance- you have just proved they did indeed exist. I reckon that is an early 67 and something a bit special- well done that man!!!
Good on yer Dave
Any more where that one came from lol !!!!!

regards
Kev

Also just noticed 3 screws in the base instead of the usual 4 found with this type. They also don't protrude the top of the fuze head.
Has anyone else got an example of this style in their collection?
regards
Kev

Also just noticed 3 screws in the base instead of the usual 4 found with this type. They also don't protrude the top of the fuze head.
Has anyone else got an example of this style in their collection?
regards
Kev

Strangely enough it is also marked with ZEIT/AZ with the timer setting on the top,again another variant

Best phil

Very nice one Dave, check out the AZ and Ziet markings on the top, done as a dummy by the looks of it. Have only ever seen those on early BD sketches and was dismissive as to their existance- you have just proved they did indeed exist. I reckon that is an early 67 and something a bit special- well done that man!!!
Good on yer Dave
Any more where that one came from lol !!!!!

regards
Kev

Thanks Kev, I hadn't even noticed the fact that the markings were dummy ones, why one earth would they do that?
Just looked at the other 67 I've got and noticed the "eov" is on the opposite side of the fuze. You'd have thought they'd have made up their minds and gone for one design.
Dave.

My only guess is it was initially to confuse BD but who knows? I can only say I have seen drawings of this fuze in several publications even describing the AZ Ziet markings, but I had dismissed them as a early mix up as with the type 25 booby trap fuze - being actually a 50Y. You have just proved that they do exist and that the drawings are correct after all.
The markings are only for show by the looks of it, you will have to let us know what the insides look like, could it be set as an impact fuze as the AZ marking suggests??
More investigation required.
Over to you Dave
cheers Kev

Blimey Kev, I wasn't planning on taking it to bits just yet, about the only person I would trust to do that would be our man Phil!
Check your PM...........you may be the one taking one to bits if the master plan works!
Dave.

If it was made with the selector switch to confuse BD then thats one of the nastier tricks ive heard of! :neutral:

best

waff

Another thought came to mind, the dummy selector switch is set to point at ZIET (time), could this then be an indication to the German armorours that it was a time delay. Up to this point only type 41 fuzes had been used with the select switch which was set by the armourers prior to loading the containers.
Unlike other bomb fuzes its only marked 67 (not Elaz ztz.....etc) Just a thought?
Is there any other information out there on the 67 fuzes that elaborates on this? My only reference is sketches made and published at the time, nothing to state purpose.
regards
Kev

I've seen 2 like this and both have the dummy selector switch pointing the same way.
Dave.

Steves (67)

Here is my (67) that im keeping in the one remaining SD2 i use for lectures
Picture one is Timmy also a Butterfly appreciation member.

Attachments

• Buttefly bomb67 001.jpg
    Buttefly bomb67 001.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 47
  • Buttefly bomb67 002.jpg
    Buttefly bomb67 002.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Buttefly bomb67 003.jpg
    Buttefly bomb67 003.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Buttefly bomb67 004.jpg
    Buttefly bomb67 004.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Buttefly bomb67 005.jpg
    Buttefly bomb67 005.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 60
Here is my (67) that im keeping in the one remaining SD2 i use for lectures
Picture one is Timmy also a Butterfly appreciation member.

Very nice Steve,
Thats another lovely 67 fuze! Same construction as Daves. Again notice that the dummy setter points to ziet.
Great photos- like Timmy the cat!!
Also just noticed that the paper seal is still in place on the base of the fuze, have seen remnents of this before on fuzes but never one complete like that. Presume the purpose was to keep both damp and dirt out during storage. -very nice indeed!
regards Kev

Last edited:
Hi Kev
Thats correct the fuzes were supplied with this piece of waxed? paper over the fire spit to stop damp from forming.

(67)Variation

Allthough the two guides are missing from this sectioned fuze it can be clearly seen that no dummy selector switch had been made on this casting ,Time stamped into the side is 10 (mins ).

Attachments

• without selector switch 001.jpg
    without selector switch 001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 43
  • without selector switch 002.jpg
    without selector switch 002.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice fuze Steve, what's your theory on why there would be a dummy switch?
Dave.