What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi unknow head

russell

can any one tell me what this is its 27 inchs tall 6 1/2 inches across the base
could it be ww1 its light compaired to its size
Picture_104.jpg

I think its a ww1 german 17cm gas shell
From what ive found so far the "B" denotes "B-STOFF a filling of either xylyl bromide or brommethylethylketone

IGNORE THIS POST IT IS NOT RUSSELLS SHELL

Yep mad you look to be correct,,ill delete my post s
,sorry russell i found similar looking shell in my files listed as a 17cm and found another german shell with a white not red "B" on it,i wrongly assumed the "B" would be a standard thing

thats looking like the one could not make my mind up as to it being gas or insendery now to look in the shed for a case .have a ww2 17cm materhorn dont think it will work .thanks for the info russell

Hi Russel,

The round is a Mortar round it had no case.

Rw_1WK_MW_170_01.jpg

Cheers Mad B)

And Spott good first ID.:)

Hi Russel, theres a good description of the 17cm Minenwerfer with pictures of the mortar and projectile (phosgene gas 'D-mine' ) in the Ian V hogg book 'Mortars'

Quatermass.

hi dont have that one have the german artillery of ww2 and his book on ammuntion all so the one on anti aircraft artillery ,will have to try and find a copy thanks

HY,

Its really a ww1 german 17cm incendiary shell for minen werfer. "B" for brand

Mygale