What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea recovered ordnance

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
We see lots of pics of ordnance recovered from holes in the ground, so i thought it time we had a look at some pulled out of the sea.

These pictures are of 25pdrs recovered from a beach that was used as a test range in the UK. They've been rolling around on the sea bed for around 70 years, but once the sea scale is removed they're found to be in amazing condition with markings etc still visible.

Picture 1 - As recovered on the beach, to Joe public they look just like rocks as they're covered in a layer of sea scale.

Picture 2 - Sea scale partly removed to expose the base plate. One of the hazardous with these items is that the base plate can fly off when removing the scale.

Picture 3 - Scale removed to expose the fuzes.

Picture 4 - Scale still on and removed.

recovered 25pdr.jpg

Base plate coming off.jpg

25 Pounder 01.jpg

sea scale and not.jpg

very interesting !

Very interesting peteblight and as you say the condition is actually very good in some instances !

Thanks for sharing those with us and "keep em coming" please.

The great condition doesn't last too long, exposure to the air soon ruins them :tinysmile_cry_t3:

Pete, aren't you supposed to be babysitting? I'm going to tell!

can anyone identify this amo ??

anyone an idear what kind of amo showing in this pics and what kind of nationality ??
realy nice pics i hope they dont scrap this amo !!

best regards David

They're British 25 Pdrs, chemical filled. (Mustard and Bromobenzyl Cyanide)
In the same area we find 5.5" & 6" shells and on occasions 4.2" mortars.

Ordnance from the sea;

If I may add a comment; my experience with American Civil War ordnance recovered from wet soil conditions or from the sea, or even fresh water caused the shells to carbonize and lose most of its iron content. If this has happened they will weigh less and after drying out will crack or spall, eventually will fall to pieces.
They can be reverse electroylsis and returned to near good condition, however it is a long process taking up to a year depending on the size.
Most museums, who do preservation work, can tell you how.
Regards,
John aka Bart

chemicals

Why were these chemical filled shells dumped in the sea? Is this our legacy to future generations. Is there a danger factor here? I've seen more than a few posts in here about chemical filled ordnance being dumped into the sea. Eventually, maybe not even in our childrens childrens chirlden lifetime seem leak could be an environmental hazord. am I thinking straight here or am I just full of s__t ? Dano

that was an normal recycling after the wars

this was an normal recycling after the both wars to dump al lot of the grenades into the see a lot of countrys have done this after the wars the nordsee and ostsee over germany are full with this kind of grenades !!
its hard to understand but true !!

Regards David

The shells in these pictures weren't dumped they were fired. This particular place was a test and proofing range for CW filled shells (although they did fire HE and inert rounds here too). The impact area happened to be a beach. The beach is managed by the National Trust and is open to the public all year round except during clearance operations which take place 3 times a year!
Any shells which didn't function have been rolling around for 70 years gradually collecting concreation (sea scale).

If you want info on sea dumped CW then send a mail to US Subs and he'll fill you in on all the details.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Attachments

• 301k bombs H-1.5k 1ton L1958 SFran SS Ralston.jpg
    301k bombs H-1.5k 1ton L1958 SFran SS Ralston.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 75
Pete, when are you back to work - I've still got some fuzes for you. We forgot about them and the wife threw them in the closet when she was visiting - just found them yesterday with my 18cm.

You'd only correct me on what i wrote so i thought it better coming from the horses mouth :xd:
I'm still on the look out for a couple of minenwerfers if there's any with the fuzes??

I'd never humiliate you publicly Pete, I save that for work.

Have this old Film about recovering CW Projectiles in 1960 in German water its not compleet but they got over 28000 projectiles out of the water.

No Jeff what i can do is put it on a USB stick for you.
Also got something from Ammandorf.

Last edited: