What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avu

Bellifortis

Hallo,
the russian AVU (AWU) family of 3 fuzes AVU-E (AWU-Ä) and AVU-ET (AWU-ÄT) are all very similar. The last 2 have "electro-pyrotechnic Starters", as the russians name this igniters. The first one AVU has a mechanical "starter". Does anybody here have a detailed description (drawing) of this mechanical igniter ? The AVU is also the only one that has this "fixture" on the other side of the mechanical igniter. In a "Halo Trust" document this is called an "Arming Fork Guide". Can anybody explain the detailed function of this ? Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration, I remain,
Yours Bellifortis.AVU.jpg

As far as I know the AVU family has at least 4 fuzes: AVU, AVU-E, AVU-ET and AVU-ETM.
The first has mechanical arming function, E and ET has electrical arming and ETM has both options.
I do not have the diagram, but the mechanism works the same way as in the mechanical arming delay MDV.

On the drawing You can see the way the arming wire is attached to the fork on a different soviet fuze.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC08895.jpg
    DSC08895.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 40
  • fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hi Bob,
thank you for your instructive answer. The AVU-ETM model I did not even know about up till now.
regards,
Bellifortis.