What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" HE...Getting daft now....

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_2947.jpgIMG_3073.jpgIMG_3130.jpgIMG_3125.jpgIMG_3126.jpg

Good evening all,

For those interested I thought I'd post images of the latest addition to the collection, namely a first war 12" HE howitzer shell.
Thanks to TimG and snufkin, it has been identified as having been manufactured by Daimler motor Co, Coventry.

A lovely piece, and has cleaned up remarkably well, but a complete logistical nightmare in terms of shifting it around, (at somewhere around 300kgs).
Having spent days cleaning it and trying to move it into the house, I now feel I've aged 10 years. I'd struggle to lift a teabag now....

Of course, completely empty, FFE and inert.
Hope you enjoy the pics,
Regards!

That is a beast, and well done its cleaned up well are you painting it?
Andy

I was going to at one point Andy, but thought better of it. I quite like the patina it has, almost a gunmetal finish. But it did come close to getting painted, just to prevent rust more than anything.
Now it stands coated with renaissance wax and seems to be fairing well for it.
Many thanks for the compliment.
All the best!
Dylan

I was going to at one point Andy, but thought better of it. I quite like the patina it has, almost a gunmetal finish. But it did come close to getting painted, just to prevent rust more than anything.
Now it stands coated with renaissance wax and seems to be fairing well for it.
Many thanks for the compliment.
All the best!
Dylan

Yes its always hard to make that decision but i think you made the right one as it look great,
Cheers
Andy

Last edited: