What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US WW2 Grenade Canister Launcher

ekim199944

Just purchased "US WW2 Grenade Canister Launcher 1945". Painted gray, not sure why, all the pictures I have see are painted OD. This one is rusty as you can see in photos. I would like to restore it, but would like to know what letters were stamped on it. You can see some from the other photo. Does anyone have one that could tell me what the lettering is?Canister Launcher 1.jpgCanister Launcher 2.jpg

As for the color, these were used with chemical type (CS/CN/tear gas/smoke etc.) so the gray is appropriate and maybe "upgraded/updated" from original OD.
Milspec nomenclature seems to be: ADAPTER GRENADE PROJECTION.
My understanding was these were not developed until after WW2. Korean War vintage and beyond. Lots of Police departments used them for riot control.
As for the rust, a soaking in Evaporust will do it wonders. It should leave the paint. Thought I had one in the lot but must have traded it off, so can't help with the writing.

As for the color, these were used with chemical type (CS/CN/tear gas/smoke etc.) so the gray is appropriate and maybe "upgraded/updated" from original OD.
Milspec nomenclature seems to be: ADAPTER GRENADE PROJECTION.
My understanding was these were not developed until after WW2. Korean War vintage and beyond. Lots of Police departments used them for riot control.
As for the rust, a soaking in Evaporust will do it wonders. It should leave the paint. Thought I had one in the lot but must have traded it off, so can't help with the writing.

Thanks will try the Evaporust.

T2E1.jpgRick is spot-on regarding the Evaporust suggestion. You will be surprised how nice that will look after a dip. Considering they are from the same lot, this should help on the markings.

QajGxBhrSkqvhHTmmOSNbg_thumb_50d.jpgThanks for the photo of the T2E1 adaptor. I had not seen this one .
I show a photo of my M2A1 adaptor which is a later version. Ron.

Well, while we're on the subject, the T2E1 model means that there was a T2 before it. This example is dated 1944 and has the earlier solid ring tail fin. The difference between the two is the addition of a steel disc to the T2E1 to support the grenade better. I suspect some heavier chemical grenades might have had the tail tube push through the bottom during launch because of a weak base plate.

P1050955.jpgP1050956.jpgP1050957.jpg

Were they ever painted OD?

Well, while we're on the subject, the T2E1 model means that there was a T2 before it. This example is dated 1944 and has the earlier solid ring tail fin. The difference between the two is the addition of a steel disc to the T2E1 to support the grenade better. I suspect some heavier chemical grenades might have had the tail tube push through the bottom during launch because of a weak base plate.

View attachment 149443View attachment 149444View attachment 149445 Were they ever painted OD? Found only one web site that shows one painted OD.

Yes, later production during Vietnam were OD. I don't think I've seen one dated later than this but there might be other contracts.

I'm not sure which contractor XMM was but they also made other grenade launching items. I have packages of ranging spring clips used with the M1 grenade launcher on the M1903 Springfield rifles. They are the same as the WWII clips except they are parkerized instead of blued. My assumption has always been they were produced to support surplus grenade launching equipment supplied to the South Vietnamese.

P1050970.jpgP1050968.jpg