What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenades to be auctioned

I'd love to see it, but don't know of any.

I can just imagine a stereotypicle guy with a big sombrero, big mustache, 12 O'clock shadow, crossed bandoleers and a huge lit cigar for that one....:bandit:

Here are a few WWI Stick grenades. I've looked at Delhomme and LexPev, but as noted on some of the threads here there are many minor variations. Nothing seems to either document or explain these differences in detail (at least nothing I can find a translation for) so I want to be sure I am not mixing up a normal variation with a subtle difference in country of manufacture.

Here are the grenades in question.

92  German Stick  1a.jpg93  German Stick  2a.jpg95  German Stick  3a.jpg96  German Stick  4a.jpg

Any information is appreciated.

Nothing on the stick grenades? My questions are in regard to the differences, whether they are normal variations or something else. Pictures #2 and #3 both appear to be normal Stielhandgranate M1917, with variations in construction and marking. Picture #1 however, the body is over 1cm longer, larger in diameter and different in construction, though the stick appears to be the same. Picture #4 looks to be a Stielhandgranate Brennzunder, but the stick is completely different. My references on these are fairly limited and don't discuss what is a normal variation vs some model I have not yet referenced.

One more that is causing me issues. Lexpev tentatively identifies this as possible N. Korean. He has the same grenade body (subtle differences), but a different fuze. Others have suggested the South Korean A3, which is similar in size, but has some differences as well. While I have been forwarded a good reference on the South Korean grenade, LexPev mentions no reference for the Northern counterpart. The reference for the South Korean model notes that it is similar in design to the North Korean F1, but does not elaborate. Does anyone have anything further? I'm including the A3 document below for those who have interest. In addition see http://lexpev.nl/grenades/middleeastasia/northkorea/fragmentationgrenadea3.html. I'm sending back a request to see what fuze it accepts, but without a reference that is still not ID.
My thanks to other members for the reference and for their conspiracy theories.

66 Korean 3a.jpgCover.jpgPage 2.jpgPage 4.jpgPage 5.jpgPage 6.jpgPage 7.jpg

Here are a few WWI Stick grenades. I've looked at Delhomme and LexPev, but as noted on some of the threads here there are many minor variations. Nothing seems to either document or explain these differences in detail (at least nothing I can find a translation for) so I want to be sure I am not mixing up a normal variation with a subtle difference in country of manufacture.

Here are the grenades in question.

View attachment 150451View attachment 150452View attachment 150453View attachment 150454

Any information is appreciated.

I'm certainly not an expert on WW1 German S/G's but I can say that about 30 years ago I purchased a collection of 25 from a defunct museum & they were all quite different when laid out side by side , particularly the cans showed considerable variation in dimensions even within types that were clearly the same basic model . There is a guy on this site who's very knowledgeable on German S/G's , so he might know . Siegfreid .

Noting the similarities and the timeline, was the French P3 considered an Aasen design, a descendant of one, or a completely separate development? Other than poor quality group photos I have been unable to find a good comparative photo collection of Aasen designs, or of some of the P2-P3 variations. Without this it is difficult to draw a line between the two. Is there one?

Any chance that you have a model number or reference available?

As far as I'm aware, AH used a lot of models of offensive stick grenades (wartime and used as "petard").
Sorry no reference.
Herewith examples of WW1 AH stick grenades (not exhaustive)

1.jpgAustria-Hungarian-Soldiers-left-1.jpgAustria-Hungarian-Soldiers-right.jpg

Forthose who have been asking -
Morphy's has decided that the grenades will beauctioned during their upcoming Edged Weapon andMilitaria auction, on June12-13, 2019. See their website for full details and further information.
This isgoing to be a curious auction, as they are a somewhat "high-end"organization, and do not generally deal with small value items. They have takenthe decision to "bundle" certain items, in order to bring each lot upto a potential threshold value, based on an estimate of the individual itemsvalues. From a collector's viewpoint this may make things a bit challenging.Recommendations were made on which items should be bundled with which, but theywill make the final decisions. Good luck to all that choose to participate.

Last edited: