What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a No. 80 Mk IV fuze?

Darkman

I picked up this aluminium No. 80 fuze recently, and it was missing the bottom screw on time ring. Unusually it has no markings on either the base or the nose cap, other than "51" stamped on the base. So the complete nomenclature must have been stamped on the base plug only. (On some early No. 80s I see the details on both the nose cap and the base.)

I've screwed a brass time ring on from a relic all brass Mk VI fuze. As far as I know the only screw on time rings were brass. Looking at my fuze details, the only fuse with an alloy body, alloy time rings and a screw on time ring was a Mk IV. Is this correct? Could somebody please confirm?

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3705.JPG
    IMG_3705.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3706.JPG
    IMG_3706.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3707.JPG
    IMG_3707.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
It looks very strange with the aluminium powder rings and a brass time ring. Were there ever removable ally time rings on a No. 80 fuze? I can’t find any documentation on that. I thought that maybe someone had incorrectly fitted ally powder rings to it, but they do look original to the fuze and have been on it for a very long time (currently not removable without heat).

Is anyone able to provide any information on this fuze?

It has matching impact damage marks on the cap and powder rings, so was definitely fired in this configuration. Unless someone was mucking around with bits from other fuzes to assemble it before firing?

The Treatise on Ammunition 1905 showes one which is made entirely of aluminium.

Attachments

• 20190203_174723.jpg
    20190203_174723.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks greif, but that would be a mark 1 fuze with the body and time ring all one piece. My fuze has an aluminium body but a screw on time ring.

Cheers, Graeme

Last edited:
Thanks greif, but that would be a mark 1 fuze with the body and time ring all one piece. My fuze has an aluminium body but a screw on time ring.

Cheers, Graeme

Yes, I was aware of that but may be this drawing could be a little piece of the puzzle.

Thanks Tim. Bonnex posted a summary of the No. 80 fuze changes some time ago and what you posted was my understanding also. It's just that I've never seen an all aluminium fuze with a brass time ring before - strange looking thing.