What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identifying 88 projectile / fuse

Panzerfan

Who can tell me a little bit more about this 88 projectile / fuse?

The paint is not original. The fuse most likely a wrong type.

IMG_2407.jpg

Next to another 88.

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

Thanks! Anything else anybody can tell me? :)

The shell you are showing is the 8,8 cm Sprgr L/4,5 (Kz). It is the type with the screwed-in base plate.
The stamps are somewhat difficult to read.
41 kam 50 a?. These are the production stamps of the shell body. Year of manufacturing 1941; kam (= Hasag Eisen-und Metallwerke GmbH, Werk Skarzysko-Kamienna); Lot 50, series a?.

FES = Sintered Iron driving bands.

13 Sk 5.44. These are filling stamps. 13 = code for the explosive filler = amatol 60/40; Sk is the code for the filling station; 5.44 = month and year of filling.

The early shells with the screwed-in base plate have a HE charge in a cardboard container which was inserted thru the base of the shell body. Later on the explosive was poured in, these shells were marked with a + in black paint on the ogive indicating that the screwed-in base plate was sealed with magnesia-paste.

I think your shell is of the poured-in type, because the cardbord containers were always filled with pressed TNT which had the explosive filler code 1.

Below drawings of the two different shell types with the screwed-in base plate.

Attachments

• 8,8 cm Sprgr L-4,5 -1.jpg
    8,8 cm Sprgr L-4,5 -1.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 8,8 cm Sprgr L-4,5 -2.jpg
    8,8 cm Sprgr L-4,5 -2.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 30
  • 8,8 Flak Oostfront.jpg
    8,8 Flak Oostfront.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
The l Igr Z 23 nA is not correct. Should be a ZtZ S/30; ZtZ S/30 Fg; AZ 23/28 or AZ 23/28 (Pr).