What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.577 Bore

Dutch

After missing the pakage for a few decades I found it again in an old box.
Could one of you please give me an indication when these cartridges were made?

Rgds.
Dutch

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 91
I am guessing mid 1880's ? comparing to my different blank packets. Looks commercial rather than military.
I thought you would like a guess reply rather than nothing. Ron.

I have seen pictures of very similar string and paper wrapped packets of Snider or Martini Blanks with the inscription

"Manufactured at the Kynoch Factories of Imperial Chemical Industries limited Metals Division"

ICI were formed in 1926 so your packet is earlier than that.

Thank you very much for answering the quistion.

It must be early cases, because they are made from rolled brass.
Ron, you wrote it looks more commercial as military.

Who used commercial blanks these day's.

2%nvumu8TaeG9e6uNypUwg_thumb_525.jpg5ScnGLM1ROGxZDENSOl%Uw_thumb_52a.jpgUMDaLe1GSwmtixVbWGaBcg_thumb_524.jpgDjWG1OGSTlak1p7TU5jeEg_thumb_528.jpgPeC9P4yHT6a%JnkJNN+ACw_thumb_52b.jpg9NpAYpy9STGVNpLBZwwK6g_thumb_527.jpgI will show a few packets of MH/Snider blanks from my collection. Mk1V blanks are short while yours could be converted ball cases? or made that way.
Military packets usually have blue and tan string but as you can see India used tan and so did commercial packets so not a good guide.
I show Mk1V Eley 1896. No print packet. Indian KF 22-1-29. Long case which may be a brass case? Light tan commercial dated ? R E (1952).
By commercial I mean non military contract. Your packet is nice and early long cases so could be military but does not have a date on wrapper.
I cannot date these unmarked packets but they are nice to collect. Ron.

Hi Dutch,If you look at my thread on M/H and Snider rnd's there's a link to a web site that will be of help to you. Regards ,Pete.

Shawy
A nice selection of cartridges and good to see. I do not see the cartridge from the Dutch packet. Unless the top one in photo 7 is British and not Indian made.
I think the blank should look like this top cartridge and was often made from broken down ball rounds. Just my thoughts and thanks for your input.

Hi ron3350,thanks for the comments. Tony Edwards site is a godsend,I've had it for about six or seven years now and it's helped me no end. It's on my thread as you know. Regards,Pete.