What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with paint match...

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_4200.jpgIMG_4201.jpgIMG_4204.jpg
Hello all,

Would anyone here have any idea what colour this 1916 dated ammunition crate might have been specified as at the time? Its a dark drab green. I've built a replica crate identical to this original but wondered if in 1916 it had a particular colour designation (ie service drab, etc).
Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good match using a modern equivalent colour.
Many thanks in advance.

That box is painted Deep Bronze Green as it should be for the time. The modern colour is BS381C Colour Number 224, but this colour was in use and defined as a colour, as E112 in 1912, by the Post Office. Although their post boxes had been painted Deep Bronze Green for the many years prior to this, it was not a defined colour, until they wanted to use it on a postage stamp in 1912.
Bronzing had been used as a technique for centuries. It entailed painting something green, notably cast iron statues, railings etc. then applying bronze dust. The copper in the dust also turned green and we owe the preservation of many cast iron items, open to the elements, to this form of preservation.
British Standards began in about 1902, but obviously they came on stream in order of importance at the time.

Thanks a million AE501, much appreciated.
The further info was very interesting, especially the association with the P.O. Impressive knowledge indeed...
Many thanks!

Hi
I have been doing some research on paint colours. Is there any chance I could have a look at this ammo box and compare the colour with some others? I might be able to assist you with the colour. I live nearby in Maidenhead.

Regards

Andrew Foulkes