What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 Pr

Anybody an idea about the payload for this 18 Pr. No guaranty that the colour code is correct. It is original not adapted.

Attachments

• WW I - Aie - GRR - Shell QF 18 Pr (a).jpg
    WW I - Aie - GRR - Shell QF 18 Pr (a).jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 103
  • WW I - Aie - GRR - Shell QF 18 Pr (b).jpg
    WW I - Aie - GRR - Shell QF 18 Pr (b).jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 96
  • WW I - Aie - GRR - Shell QF 18 Pr (d).jpg
    WW I - Aie - GRR - Shell QF 18 Pr (d).jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 94
  • WW I - Aie - GRR - Shell QF 18 Pr (e).jpg
    WW I - Aie - GRR - Shell QF 18 Pr (e).jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 90
Hello,

Maybe I missed something but it's the first time I see such a 18pr with head screwed !
Interesting.
(I know 18pr gas "double diaphragm" was tested, could it be this one ?)

Regards

Last edited:
Hi
It's a repared 18 Pr HE shell
A first chemical loading test was also study with this shell (not double diaphragm but with bursting base charge like Shrapnel arrangement) but never used since the war

Tx,

a wide thread for a bursting/breaking purpose but i guess that is why they abandoned the idea.
PS: i was sure the painting was wrong.

Doctor is correct. This 18pdr was a conventional HE projectile (Mk III, I think) that was adapted for gas.
This is the first physical example that i’ve seen, although I’ve read about them and seen the designs for it.

Hi
It's a repared 18 Pr HE shell
A first chemical loading test was also study with this shell (not double diaphragm but with bursting base charge like Shrapnel arrangement) but never used since the war

Hi

I think I came across an answer to the question.
I'm thinking of 18 Pr Mk 1R or Mk 1R *.
These shell were rectified Мk 1 and 1 * shells.
The top of the shell wall was cut down, reduced in diameter and screwed extemally to receive the head, which was secured bу а fixing screw.
The shell had at length of 9.37 inches.