What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 3,7 cm 6331* case

VC54002

Hi, I bought this 3,7 cm case and the case model headstamp says 6331* as you can see in the picture below. As far as I know there were three types of this case: 6331 for brass cases, 6331 St for steel cases and 6331/67 for two-piece brass and steel cases. Any idea about what the asterisk indicates?
37.jpg

So far I have only found the 6331* headstamp in cases made by Würtembergische Metallwarenfabrik (WaA21 / P152) so I suppose it's this manufacturer's code for brass, some examples:
87P1521936Waa216331G.jpg2351.jpg

I have a case marked with "6331*". This case do however have the WaA stamp "270" and it is made by "P131". Is it possible that the asterisk indicate something else than a specific manufacturer's code for brass?

a1.jpg

Hi, if I remember rightly the star means some kind of modification, isn't it something found on some WW1 fuzes?

Yes, but it's not a fuze :) Not sure if I had seen an explanation for the "*" in some manual, but which?

Many thanks for the comments! I have tried to find information about the asterisk myself but unfortunately nothing has come up. Will keep trying!

Hi, I bought this 3,7 cm case and the case model headstamp says 6331* as you can see in the picture below. As far as I know there were three types of this case: 6331 for brass cases, 6331 St for steel cases and 6331/67 for two-piece brass and steel cases. Any idea about what the asterisk indicates?
View attachment 150219

The 6331* is the 4th type of case. I'm guessing it was phased out at an early stage.

PC

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: