What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

251 Bofors fuze maker ID?

Darkman

A mate has this 251 Mk 1 Bofors fuze that we can't work out the maker for.

It's an unfinished and unfilled fuze and has no date on it, but 251 I would make it WW2 era.

Found in Australia, so possibly Australian made but the markings are not known to us.

Markings are: 251 I TGC 4 CU

I can't find TGC or CU on the list of WW2 British fuze makers, and I've not seen an Australian made fuze with these stamps before.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Graeme

Attachments

• IMG_3897.PNG
    IMG_3897.PNG
    69.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3898.PNG
    IMG_3898.PNG
    74.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3899.PNG
    IMG_3899.PNG
    75.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I think it is from "The Gramophone Company".

It's exactly the same type of company which produced fuzes in Germany too (in both wars).

Last edited:
As Alpini says, TGC would be The Gramophone Company. 4CU would most likely be the empty lot series. However, you say the fuze is unfinished, could you expand on that please. It seems odd to mark the fuze before it is finished. Would it be possible to have a better image of the markings? They appear engraved rather than stamped.

TimG

Thanks Alpini and Tim!

I have WW1 18 pdr cases made by The Gramophone Company, but I would have thought that by WW2 they were known as HMV?
Also it’s not shown on the list of British WW2 fuze makers - or did I miss it?

I think the fuze is unfinished as the tip of the nose cap is not coned over and the copper disc fitted to retain the hammer. I also think this may have been done by the filling factory after they put the explosive pellet in, hence it could be stamped by the maker, but not yet by the filling factory.

I’ll see if I can get a better photo of the stamps.

Cheers, Graeme

I worked for the company in the late 1960s and knew it as Electric and Musical Industries (EMI). During WW2 the company managed an agency factory for the Ministry of Supply. The factory was located in Springfield Road, Hayes, Middlesex. They used the 'monogram' TGC on their production of fuzes, prismatic compasses and Switches No 8. After the war EMI retained the Springfield Road (SR) factory which became a research, development and production centre for Proximity Fuzes (and later, the Ranger Mine system). From recollection the monograms used during my time there included:

TGC
TGC/SR
EMI
EMI/SR
SR

I also understand that a single 'G' was used as a monogram during WW2 but I have never seen one.
You will be familiar with the turntable monogram used in and before WW1.

I have not seen HMV used as a munitions monogram but EMI would have had several 'trademarks' drawn from its numerous operating companies, especially those in the music businesses.

The SR factory closed in the 1980s if I remember correctly.

Thanks for your first-hand knowledge Norman - primary source information is invaluable!
That pretty much confirms the earlier advice and answers my question completely.

I was going to respond and say that I was wrong on both accounts - I did some checking and found out that TGC was the parent company of HMV (they didn’t become HMV), and that The Gramophone Company brand/logo was used until the 1970s. TGC merged with another company in 1931 to become EMI, but TGC brand was stillused. Also “TGC” Gramophone Company does appear on the list of WW2 British fuze makers - I need my eyes checked!

BTW Tim, the marks on the fuze are definitely stamped/punched and not engraved. Not easy for me to get a better photo at the moment.

Cheers all!

Graeme