What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange 81mm no obturating ring M374

I have this 81mm mortar with no obturating ring, solid body, marked "ALR-3-3 1966 HE 81mm M374", and " SS" stamped on the body. The TM makes no mention of this peculiarity, all are pictured with an obturating ring groove. Possibly a very early model?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 24
Other markings on the body, near center body, "M" inside a circle, " A", and " 11". The only match I can make is an M362, but it is definitely marked M374.

Last edited:
The SS stands for Safe Steel, and it was used at the Yuma Proving Ground, so the EOD guys could recognize inert loaded Ordnance from live ordnance. They would test all types of modifications using wax filled bodies, then explosive filled bodies, etc. They would mix metal pellets with the wax to get the same weight inert filler as the live explosive fill. Your body is evidently an early crossover from the M262/M370 design to the M374. It might have a different CG than the final M374. They might have cut the obturator groove on a lathe, and that projo was culled out before the grooving operation. Scrap from Yuma could have all stages of production omitted on components.

Thanks for the detailed info. I have an extra 1965 dated M362 shrouded fin assy.( M141) and a M524A6 fuze I will install on the 1966 dated body. It will appear to be an M362 round that I do not have....the only "give away" will be the early " M374" marking. I will copy your reply and drop it inside the body for future reference. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 9