What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID of RML projectiles

Drewz

Hi, I have two of these projectiles I would like to dispose of, and am not sure exactly what they are. The body is cylindrical, 6.22" dia. for 8 3/4" then a slight shoulder with a 3/4"lead band and a separate looking 'nose'. The dia. suggests a 64pdr but never seen one with this shape. The only markings I can see are the Royal Laboratory R broad arrow L with VII above, and what I presume is a date on one of the studs, 3/81 (March 1881 ?) A dozen of these used to line the driveway to the gate lodge of our local stately home many, many years ago, all nicely painted white. Any information would be great and is anyone interested in having them?
Thanks
Shell (1r).JPGShell (24r).JPGShell (11r).JPGShell (20a).jpg

It looks like it might be a shrapnel shell.

I didn't see sgdbdr's post for some reason but agree with him.

Can you remove the nose plug to confirm they are inert?

Last edited:
Hi glevum I haven't tried removing the nose plugs, don't have a suitable tool and as they were out in the open for many years I suspect they are seized solid.

Drewz,

If the plug is seized, don't try to remove it. I would treat the shells as live and contact the police.

Shrapnel shells have a charge in the base of the shell to eject the balls