What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 80 Mk VIIA fuze?

Darkman

Has anyone heard of a No. 80 Mk VIIA fuze? I've got nothing on it. Mk VII yes, then next production fuze was Mk XI.

A mate (in the UK) has obtained these photos of a fuze cap marked 80/VII/A 1916. (Photo quality is poor but that's all we've got.)

Apparently the cap was found at an old fuze factory site, sorry but don't know which one at this stage.

Experimental perhaps?

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Graeme

Attachments

• Cap 1.png
    Cap 1.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Cap 2.png
    Cap 2.png
    141.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Cap 3.png
    Cap 3.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 46
No known records of a Mk VIIA No. 80 fuze, but I haven't checked for Mks of the protective brass cap itself. Depotman

The 'A' after the number of the fuze is highly safety significant, indicating the presence of a Picric Powder pellet in lieu of a CE pellet in the central magazine.
The 'A' after the mark of the fuze indicates the same fuze but of new manufacture, so is not that significant.
In this instance, in the absence of a manufacturer, there is not a lot to be found unless someone has old production records showing what/who the change of manufacture was.
I am being careful here because the word used is 'manufacture' not 'manufacturer'.

Thanks guys,

Depotman, that was my initial reaction too - that it was a variation on the fuze cover itself - not the fuze, but not seen this before on No. 80 covers.

AE501, I'm not sure what you mean by "of new manufacture" in relation to an A after the mark. Mk VIIs were of new manufacture, not converted from other marks? Also I'll try and find out who the manufacturer is and get better photos.

Cheers

The definitions of 'A' after the fuze number and after the mark, are from the Inspectorate of Armaments, Woolwich and apply to all fuzes, where an 'A' appears, not just the Number 80.