What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Navy 3" 50 Cal MK 33 Mod 0 Projectile Info Needed

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
Just restored a MK 33 Mod 0 3" 50 Cal projectile and painted it with what I think is a close approximation of the HE color. What I need to finish it up would be the stenciling. I've done a search here and found nothing, looked through my pubs and on the net and don't find much. Does anyone have any pictures of a round with stenciling that I can use as a template? Also, is there any information as to when the MK 33 Mod 0 was adopted and how fast it transitioned to the Mod1 to replace it? I would assume that the MK 33 was originally to take the place of the MK31 and would have either the MK 58 or MK 72 VT Fuze. I've got a MK45/58 type body on it for now and it is sitting in a 1948 dated casing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bruce.

HAZ, the only stamping is on the rotating band and it reads, "(anchor in circle) 3 IN AA MK 33 MOD. 0 LOT 2E0018 53A HH". Don't know if "53" is the year or just part of the lot. Thanks, Bruce.

Funny … this is a hard round to find anything on.
Can you tell me what the total length of your round is?
Also, could you post some pictures? Even without the complete markings on it, the images would be great to see.

Joe

Found this on FB groups today. I don't know if it's the correct projo, but maybe some tips on stamping

Image1.jpg

S.

Not sure if this will help, it is my 1942 dated 3"/50 MK29 Mod2.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 25
I think what the original OP was requesting, as well as myself, is the HE version of the round. The APHE is pretty common to find. I cannot find any pictures of the HE version that took the VT fuzes.

Joe

I'll send pictures of the round soon. Currently trying to organize my mess, I mean office/gun room. I swear, they multiply like Tribles. Cheers, Bruce.