What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M314A1 105mm Illum. question.

I have this M314A1 fitted with a M44A2 dummy fuze, won at auction,( needs repaint to grey). I have a few M565 MT fuzes laying around thinking one would fit the shell. It does not. The M44 dummy fuze is 1 5/8 dia, the M565 MT is 2". Why? An M314 crate I have is stenciled " M314A3 w/ fuze M565..." Specifics markings. TM id's - M44: fuze, MT, Dummy, M44 series. My fuze is marked " Fuze, Dummy, M44A2". My projectile is marked " TIN 10-6-105mm - M314 - A1- 54". Any thoughts as to why a standard Thread MT fuze is to big to fit?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 25
You didn't include any data about the age of your bullet, but it is older because it has the smaller thread that was standard in WWII, before the M564 and M565 fuzes were in inventory.

You didn't include any data about the age of your bullet, but it is older because it has the smaller thread that was standard in WWII, before the M564 and M565 fuzes were in inventory.

I was not sure of the date, the projectile markings I included. I take it " ....M314-A1-54" signifies a 1954 date. Thanks.

The U.S. was slow to develop newer Ordnance components after WWII since we had the big uranium stick. Your shell was made at the end of Korea, where we were using up all the surplus WWII ammo.

There were 4 time fuze variants for large caliber WWII shells: The MT M43, the TSQ M54 and M55, and the MT M67. The 43 and 67 had no PD function, only mechanical clockwork time with a cocked striker. That's why they make dangerous UXO. The M54 and M55 were old design powder train time fuzes with a PD element. They would not have been so precise in timing as the MT fuzes due to varying burn rates for the powder.

The M43 series was typically issued with projos under 155mm and timed to 25 or 30 seconds. The TSQ M54 and 55 were issued for use on shells 4.5 inch and larger primarily and were adjustable to 25 seconds, and the MT M67 were issued to replace the M54 and M55 fuzes for use on 155mm and 8 inch requiring a time function to 75 seconds.

Theoretically any of the 4 models could work on your bullet.

The smaller threaded fuzes would be used with an adaptor/booster for the HE shells with 2 inch fuze wells. Cargo shells would omit the booster element.

Condensed from TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammunition June 1944.

Last edited: