What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" illuminating cap

tigbrand

Premium Member
Hi,does anyone have a picture of one of these with its correct cap showing any stamping or stencilling? Thanks Tig.

Enz6+JbTQYadcTr1AP1cbA_thumb_539.jpgkL81aoFdR7iOfrua4xLPKA_thumb_538.jpgSbtMlvEkSgaLDBlnzG3TPw_thumb_53a.jpgHere are some Australian loaded 2" Illumination mortars.
The dark 1945 ones have the Hebco (in script) with a small raised P. Hebco is also stencilled on signal bodies so it seems they also made the mortar bodies too?
One has ME in a black rectangle for Explosives factory Maribyrnong,Vic. Other has MY for St.Marys, NSW.

The white 1950's loaded by ME and have PJK caps with large impressed P. Also stamped 5 56 .
I am keen to see some British nose caps. Ron.

Hebco - H.E. Brehaut Pty., Ltd., 48, Lynch Street, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia. Engineers - Iron & Brass Founders etc. (also shown as Mont Albert, Victoria).

TimG

Thanks for the replies chaps and Cheers Ron for the pictures. I have quite a few WW2 para illum rounds with the early plain caps but not WW2 dated with a P stamped cap.
My reason for asking about this specific cap is because this bomb is odd. Its not marked para illum and doesn't have a parachute symbol?? My ww2 bombs do and so are the 60s dated rounds. I assumed this bomb is just an illuminating one without a parachute? If this is wrong why is it not marked as such? Ammunition is normally very well marked with type etc.
Cheers Tig.

Also interesting to see the different fin design, stencilling variations too, would love them in my collection!

I43WiJ5gQDyroZLoUyeY7g_thumb_53c.jpgThanks for the comments. No parachute symbols on my mortars. The tails are the common MD Derwent, Tasmanian ones. MD made 20mm cases, mortar fins and 40mm Bofors cases. All sent to the mainland for loading during WW2. Obviously there was an over-supply and tails were used into the 1950's.

I have not heard of "NP" on any caps. I think your example is just a marking variation that would have the "P" on the cap for Parachute as usual.

Hi Ron, here are some of mine, the first 5 are mint and complete, the last 2 are lacking caps and tail caps, but these will turn up.
Pic 1,1942 dated tinned body para illuminating cap is marked SW 41
Pic 2,1943 dated black painted body para illuminating cap is marked SW41
Pic 3,1967 dated para illum cap is marked HB&S 12/65
pic 4,1964 dated para illum cap is marked 11MB 1/61
pic 5, Inert instruct 1960s cap is marked 11MB 4/64
pic 6, all together
Pic 7 black body and tinned body WW2 no caps.
Hope this helps Ron.
I have lots of mint british fins if you ever get a spare of the Aussie type to trade? Cheers Tig

Sorry they are not in the order i listed them! got mixed up in downloading but should be obvious. Cheers Tig.

Usually the black body and yellow writing is in a yellow rectangle which I assume the later after the grey phosphates body type which has the same writing without the rectangle but written in black. Interesting that the para illum rounds have the early No:4 tail from about 43 just around the time as the No:3 tails of 42. Use to find the P caps on the 70s para ilum rounds but have none but have war time plain caps. My favourite are muti star but would love a signal success.

tigbrand. How about starting a new thread on 2" Multi and then Single stars.
Show me yours and I will show you mine (as they say). I have a few Aussie ones but no signal success. Photos tomorrow? Ron.

This is a recent addition, cheers Tim! Note the much larger font of the stencilling. Chris I have owned 10 plus early para illums and never had one with a rectangle around the stencils. The grey washed bodies are tinned not phosphated, which is why they go dark sometimes due to oxidisation. Thanks for everyones pics and comments! Tig.

Hi

Thought I'd post on here instead of starting a new thread.
Flea market find off a relic hunter. He thought it was smoke because of the holes in the tail base. I'm no expert but there was no sign of paint.

WP_20210708_13_47_25_Pro.jpgWP_20210708_13_47_51_Pro.jpgWP_20210708_13_48_27_Pro.jpgWP_20210708_13_48_56_Pro.jpg

Clean up in water revealed the word 'PARACHUTE'. Assuming above that is 'ILLG. WITH' and below '?/42 (letters?) 212 or 2/2'.

'S & W' in a rectangle and diamond with '?/41' underneath.

It's tinned so kept the steel in great condition.

The tail is dated '1940'. With a little heat I could remove the grub screw then the tail. Most relics I've seen have the end caps and the charge but this has neither.

Nice find,the zinc fins have saved the body acting as a sacrificial anode. Try rubbing the body with some light oil or liquid wax and it would bring out the writing. You dont see many 2" rounds these days and relics seem even scarcer! Was it cheap? Cheers Tig