What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LC 52 50 BMG Mystery

imaokie2000

I got this round a while back at a gun show. I have not been able to identify it. Can anyone please help?

The projectile is made of copper and appears to be hollow pointed.

Thanks
….JR

side.jpgprojo.jpgtip.jpg

Hard to tell from the photos, but there are a lot of novelty items out there, some of pretty good quality. Could it be one of these?

Not an indoor sub-cal round? Eg 6.5mm indoor (for small bore ranges) and 6.5mm outdoor for the 84mm Carl Gustav A/T RCL gun. Any markings on base?
Alan1.

Hard to tell from the photos, but there are a lot of novelty items out there, some of pretty good quality. Could it be one of these?

You never know, but if it's a novelty, it's a good one. The guy selling them had quiet a few on his table with the same head stamp.

Not an indoor sub-cal round? Eg 6.5mm indoor (for small bore ranges) and 6.5mm outdoor for the 84mm Carl Gustav A/T RCL gun. Any markings on base?
Alan1.

It's a common head stamp, unmolested and your guess is as good as mine, but I can't imagine this round being suitable for an indoor range. If I am correct at my calculation below, the projectile might leave the muzzle approaching 3,000 ft ps.

With a total weight of 1,321gr, subtracting 838gr for the case and 225gr for powder or inert filler. I'm guessing the projectile would weigh aprox 258 gr. That's a real light projectile. but I can see it is likely lead filled by looking in the hole in the projectile and I can tell its soft by sticking a needle in it.

More pics:

more 1.jpgmore 2.jpg

Not indoor, then, but red primer annalus usually equates to tracer element, so may be outdoor. Don't poke it too hard with the needle!
Other than that, dunno.
Alan1.

A .50 BMG Collector informed me it was one of the many types of "Wing & Fuselage Frag Test" Rounds. I know what 3 of them look like now...........

I'm thinking along the same lines as glevum, that it could be a single projectile from a 30/50 salvo squeezebore,the red annulus would be correct but I have only seen these reloaded in WW2 dated and LC 53 dated cases

I'm thinking along the same lines as glevum, that it could be a single projectile from a 30/50 salvo squeezebore,the red annulus would be correct but I have only seen these reloaded in WW2 dated and LC 53 dated cases

30/50 salvo squeezebore. huh? Hummm, I wish I still had access to X-Rays.....