What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P Gun Cartridge

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Recently a carpenter friend of mine was asked to make up some candle holders for his local church. Since the holders were to be used in remembrance of three servicemen who died in WW2 he thought that using shortened brass cartridges in the design would be appropriate and asked me to help. After rummaging around various dark corners of the garage I came up with a couple of 40/60 cases and a slightly bigger (47mm) case.

I thought the headstamps on the larger case might be of interest:

Pgun3.JPG

Thanks Dave and fear not the case remains intact. In trying to research this case myself (some years ago) I tripped over a reference to employing a 3.7-inch gun in an airframe. I wasn't able to go very far with the research and did not even determine the gun design. I had visions of a 3.7 AA gun but I expect it was nearer to a 3.7-inch RCL.

I tripped over a reference to employing a 3.7-inch gun in an airframe. I wasn't able to go very far with the research and did not even determine the gun design. I had visions of a 3.7 AA gun but I expect it was nearer to a 3.7-inch RCL.

There was indeed an automated version of the 3.7 inch AA gun (but not the Mk VI, you will be relieved to hear) and it was mounted in a long-suffering Mosquito, adorned with a massive muzzle brake to try to tame the recoil. I don't know if they ever test-fired it, if not they potentially missed the exciting sight of a massive gun disappearing backwards out the rear of the Mossie...

There was indeed an automated version of the 3.7 inch AA gun (but not the Mk VI, you will be relieved to hear) and it was mounted in a long-suffering Mosquito, adorned with a massive muzzle brake to try to tame the recoil. I don't know if they ever test-fired it, if not they potentially missed the exciting sight of a massive gun disappearing backwards out the rear of the Mossie...

As always very many thanks Tony. I chased back some notes which pointed to the ADD Progress Report of March 1946. Under the heading 3.7-inch Gun for Aircraft it mentions using an experimental 32-pr AT equipment for initial trials with high efficiency muzzle brakes (3G type and Galliot brake).

The report briefly records progress on a 4.5-inch RCL gun for aircraft.

As always very many thanks Tony. I chased back some notes which pointed to the ADD Progress Report of March 1946. Under the heading 3.7-inch Gun for Aircraft it mentions using an experimental 32-pr AT equipment for initial trials with high efficiency muzzle brakes (3G type and Galliot brake).

Ah, so I was wrong about the AA gun - the 32 pdr was a different gun using different ammo, of course.

The report briefly records progress on a 4.5-inch RCL gun for aircraft.

Yes, that was for a jet-powered bomber destroyer which effectively was designed around the gun (which was a semi-auto with about 7 rounds, IIRC).

The purpose in both instances was to fire prox-fuzed shells at enemy bombers.