What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. MK I Early Production

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
As posted in places to visit with my haul, this piece was found at the OVMS SOS. From what I'm able to gather, it is an early piece due to the full cap. It is also complete with the proper striker. I probably spent too much on it, but they aren't all that common, so I decided to snatch it up while I could. Could anyone tell me who the manufacture was? Thanks, Bruce.

P1011694.JPGP1011695.JPGP1011696.JPGP1011697.JPG

As posted in places to visit with my haul, this piece was found at the OVMS SOS. From what I'm able to gather, it is an early piece due to the full cap. It is also complete with the proper striker. I probably spent too much on it, but they aren't all that common, so I decided to snatch it up while I could. Could anyone tell me who the manufacture was? Thanks, Bruce.

They've always been too much. Nice find, regardless.

Thanks, Rick. You should a seen the Shinkle that got away.....:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Well Bruce, it didn't exactly get away.......It moved to Kansas. A nice Shinkle has been on my list for years and I was finally fortunate enough to acquire one. It has complete internals but does have 4 inerting holes.

As for the MK I, I believe you are correct about it being an early production one. Pictured below are both of my MK I's illustrating the difference between the fuse covers. It is also interesting to note that some fuzes have lugs on the sides and some don't. From what I have seen and been told, I think the earliest ones do not have the lugs.
The MK I fuze pictured with the red background is in a MK II body as it was acquired. This is an impossible combination to my knowledge, so it will soon be transplanted into a lovely MK I body I have had for years.
P.S. I don't know how much it was, but your MK I would be almost impossible to improve upon. It is a fantastic specimen!

Pat
Shinkle Grenade.jpgLate production MK I.jpgMK I early production.jpg