What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23mm Russian

orcutteod

Recently picked up this Russian 23mm and was thinking about removing the projectile and putting it on another case in much better condition. The problem is the projectile is crimped on a steel case and the primer appears to be unfired. I'm thinking the projectile has never been removed from the case if it was somebody had the correct crimping die. The shell, projectile and fuze all have the same year 68. Also the red tip fuze is telling me it's a tracer round too. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• pix913445122.jpg
    pix913445122.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 75
The casing has been drilled so the powder isn't a problem. If you're not worried about the casing it is in, you can either cut the case or put the padded projectile in a vise and wiggle it off the case. This will bell the casing, but you'll have the projo out. If there is a tracer in the projo, you can then take care of it since (I assume) the payload has been removed. Cheers, Bruce.

Hallo,
black colour, with russian ammo, normally denotes a non-explosive training or dummy round. The dummy rounds were arsenal manufactured from drilled, spent casings with the black laquered empty shells and a dummy fuze. Your specimen looks to be such a dummy that was used for cycling guns on the airfield, for which you should never use live rounds. I'm only surprised about the fuze in the 4. picture. That looks like a real one. Did that come attached to the black coloured shell or was it a seperate item ?
Greetings,
Bellifortis.

Real fuzes are usually V19U, V19UK or MG-25. As long as any boosters are removed and HE is removed they should be safe.
It looks like a MG-25 fuze.Read what is on the fuze. A dummy fuze should be black and not have a red tip as Bellifortis says. I am no Russian ammo expert, just a comment.

The fuze came with the projectile. The (black) is not any kind of paint appears to be blued.

Attachments

• pix222946188.jpg
    pix222946188.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 32
  • pix975723366.jpg
    pix975723366.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hallo,
it seems that your item was assembled, by someone, not the russian factory, from a 23mm dummy, by removing the dummyfuze and exchanging it for a real one. see my attached fotos of a 1975 factory made dummy.
Greetings,
Bellifortis.
P.S.:
Laquered was the wrong wording in my former post. I do not know the right description of the process which results in this black coloured finish.

Attachments

• 23mm Dummy 005 (800x531).jpg
    23mm Dummy 005 (800x531).jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 23mm Dummy 004 (800x532).jpg
    23mm Dummy 004 (800x532).jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
hello
i think the round on the post is not a dummy
the black projectile is normal
the fuschia on the fuze tip denote a service HEI or HEI-T round