What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.7 inch AA gun

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I recently came a cross the case in the picture below. 3.7 inch AA gun cases turn up on a regular basis, most of which date to the 1939 - 42 era. This one, however, is dated 1949. I would have thought that there was a large surplus of these cases following the end of the war in 1945 and wondered if anyone knew why there would be a need for new production for a gun in decline.

20190303_160715_resized.jpg

Maybe these guns were sold off as surplus to other countries such as the middle or Far East and had to supply a number of rounds required by the country who bought them. Maybe they needed extra rounds for the Korean War, not sure if 3.7 was used out there.

Maybe these guns were sold off as surplus to other countries such as the middle or Far East and had to supply a number of rounds required by the country who bought them. Maybe they needed extra rounds for the Korean War, not sure if 3.7 was used out there.

Certainly possible, but there must have been tens of thousands of rounds left over to supply the guns. The Korean war didn't start until June 1950 though.

The only 3.7" AA Mk 1 - 3 gun case produced for all types was Mk 1.
I know from personal experience that there were about a million HE cartridges in British ammunition depots at that time and all the various smoke types.
The only additional cartridge cases that were probably required at that time were for use with AP/T/ APCBC/T or SAP/T. These would have been used by RAF ground staff in the Middle East, for use against armour or other vehicles. The necessary guns were still in Egypt and may have been located in other countries where airfields could have been threatened.

Cartridge QF 3.7" Mks 1 - 3 Gun Orange Coloured Bursting Mks 1, 2, 3, and 4.
" " " Yellow " " " 1, 2, 3 and 4.
" " " Green " " " 1, 2, 3 and 4.
" " " Red " " " 1, 2, 3 and 4.
These all used Cartridge Mk 1 case.

The late date on your case could be a more modern example of the 3.7 may be fitted with a projectile with a different type fuze or bursting charge or new cases were used for a more powerful charge rather than use a tired old case reloaded many times, a new batch to test and try out.

Certainly possible, but there must have been tens of thousands of rounds left over to supply the guns. The Korean war didn't start until June 1950 though.

I found a green smoke projectile that measured 3.7" but it turned out to be for the 95mm How. I read that 3.7"never had a smoke shell. It appears I have learnt something new. Thanks.

AE501,

Do you have any further details on the Coloured bursting? Such as were they Smoke, Target or Smoke, Ranging?

TimG

The Empty Design Drawing Numbers were the same for each mark of shell and could appear among shell stampings.
All Mk 1 are SX66GE, Mk 2 are SX132GE, Mk 3 are SX24GE and Mk 4 are SX51GE, so in the absence of any colour markings you can make whatever suits knowing that whatever cartridge case you have will be right.

Tim
The Coloured Bursting shell were not in any original pamphlets. They first appeared in amendments at the end of 1954. They were all fitted with Fuze Time No 208 which was later superseded by Fuze T & DA L1. They must have been produced to meet a specific purpose such as those you mentioned.
HE shell went through a variety of fuzes, notably those already mentioned, US T97, T98 and T149, also 117 and 214.
There is a Blank Mk 1 which has a Case Mk 2, which has no shoulders and a Blank Mk 2 which uses the Mk 1 case.
There is also a Clearing Cartridge which has a Mk 1 case with the section above the shoulder taper removed.

AE501,

Thanks. I found reference to a 3.7" A.A. 'Smoke, Ranging' which was W.P. filled. Although the design was sealed and approved, it is believed that none were ever manufactured.

TimG