What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 british Explocives marking confusion

canadianspr

Hello everyone this is my first post. I am collecting WW2 Royal Canadian Engineer equipment and working on explosive and accessories right now. In my research through period books I have found differences in the marking and colours of explosives wrappers. References were Royal Engineers Pocket Book 1936 with amendments to 1941, Royal Engineers Reconnaissance Pocket Book 1944, Royal Engineers Supplementary Pocket Book No. 4 Demolitions and a few other Ordinance catalogs. I understand that types and marking would have changed over the course of the war. I am looking to recreate explosive packaging to around 1944. Any help and pictures would be greatly appreciated!

1. Gun Cotton Slab - 1lb. 6x3x1.5". w/ tapered hole for primer, dirty white. any pictures?

2. TNT Mk1 slab - 1.25lbs.,6x3x1.5", w/ tapered hole for primer, cardboard covering. Markings and colour?

3. CE/TNT slabs Mk 1 & 2 - 1lb. 4.5x2.25x1.75", w/ 2 holes for 1cm primers, cardboard cover
- 2lbs. 6x3x2", Primers? markings and colour?

4.Ammonal - 4oz. cartridge. rubberized cloth bag. Size?
- 2.5 lbs. black round tin. size marking?
- 25lbs. tin, 9x9.25x9". Marking?
- 50lbs. tin 11.9x10.25x12.25". marking?
- I have also seen round 25 and 50 lbs. tins listed and referenced for use in 9" augured holes for camouflet cratering

5. Plastic HE - 4oz. cartridge, 4x1.25" dia, w/ cellophane wrapper. Colour and marking?
- 0.5lbs cartridge, 8x1.25" dia, w/ wax paper wrapper. Colour and marking?
Is this the same as PE no2 as no one mentions it?

6. nobels 808 (hard) - 4oz. cartridge, 3.5x1 3/8" dia, ?? thin paper Brown, Purple or Green w/ blue marking??
Which is correct as I have seen 2 diferent styles of markings, the fancier one is I've herd WW1. Then I've seen different colours of wrapper but not marking?

7. 808 Plastic - 0.25lbs. cartridge, 3.5x1 3/8" dia, green colour explosives, thin paper w/ red markings and later it was light blue wax paper ??

8. P.E. No. 2 - 8oz. cartridge, 8x1.25" dia, dull yellow wax paper. I see a lot of brown mock-ups?

9. Dynamite/Gelignite - Not even going to go there! Too messed up.

Thanks for any help. Next will be on dml cords, detonators and primers.