What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is this a fuze ?

earni74

Premium Member
052.jpg054.jpg051.jpg Can someone identify this (is it a fuze ) I do not have a numbered 935 in my paperwork,thanks

I think this is part of an RAF bomb fuze in the 900 series. There is a 947, 949 and 951 bomb fuze to my knowledge.
The Air Publication 4003 is also a good indicator.

"British Bomb & Rocket Pistols & Fuzes" by David Andrews /Alan Swan do in fact list the No 935 as a bomb fuze - but unfortunately there is "no record" found for it > Appendix 4, p.A4-7

Thanks for your input guys, with it being brass/bronze I am wondering if it is for a water bourn munition of some kind, I will keep searching

Not sure about this odd bit of kit. Mine shows numbers AP 4003 and AP 2206. The vane is not freely rotated, and it drives a worm gear to make - and break - an electrical contact, much like the air log in the nose of a V 1 flying bomb. But it does not turn as easily as I would expect, and I too thought about water rather than air. Other points - if for water how is water ingress prevented, and how is the "fuze" attached and sealed into its housing.
Alan1DSCN0488[1].jpgDSCN0489[1].jpg

Hi Alan1, yours are exactly the same as mine, preventing water ingression and attaching the fuze to the device intended for, is another mystery to solve, the vane on my one does move freely and the gearing works as it should, I can not find reference to the No 935 fuze in any of my books/paperwork or on the internet, frustrating as it is I will keep looking and hopefully one day I/we will find out all about it
cheers
Mick