What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PGU 14B/B DU 30mm case

I found this unexpectedly at the local AN store. The 30mm case is marked Depleted Uranium, first one I have ever seen....I stuck what I think is a practice DU projo in it ( the profile seems to match a DU round)....both items $10 each....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Is not a DU round, I loaded the 30 and 25mm DU rounds, someone got a DU cart case and loaded a TP projectile.

Is not a DU round, I loaded the 30 and 25mm DU rounds, someone got a DU cart case and loaded a TP projectile.
I am aware it is not a DU round by coloring, they must be a rarity. I stuck a PGU 15 in it as the profile closely matches a PGU 14. Anyone have a DU projo to fill the case?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 26
If you look closely at the General Dynamics poster, you will see that the ammo they manufacture has two nylon rotating bands. The projectiles in your home photo have a large single rotating band. These are trial projectiles manufactured by Philco-Ford when the GAU-8 was being evaluated back in the 70's. Collectible, but not AF issued production service projectiles.

In addition, the early DU projos did not have the red anodized Ogive. They had a red band painted around the body.

Keep in mind that as with many military markings, the color red and term "band" may not always be what you expect. These are sometimes misidentified by folks that have not encountered them before and do not recognize the markings. Here is one seen last year with the typical "red band".

IMG_0476.jpg

I have a PGU-14B cutaway model in my collection, however the core has not "oxidized" darker in time and is not very heavy, so I assume I have a cutaway with a fake core. Is however good enough to show how it works

Attachments

• 30x173 PGU-14B.JPG
    30x173 PGU-14B.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: