What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Canadian 18 pdr shell

Darkman

I picked up this very nice condition Canadian 1918 dated Mk IX 18 pdr shell recently. Made by "S Ltd" (?), it's a long shell designed for use with the light weight fuzes. It had an incorrect Mk VII all brass (heavy) fuze fitted, so I found a nice Canadian made Mk V fuze and adapter to suit it from my spares.

What's interesting about it is that it has the broad arrow in a "C" denoting Canadian manufacture (on both the body and base), BUT the C is within a letter "O" or a zero. (More likely the letter O.) I've not seen this before, so I would be interested in any comments or thoughts on this.

Also instead of a lot number as on British shells, the shell is stamped with a 3 letter lot code ("ACJ") - as seen on Canadian cartridge cases - on both the body and base. I've not seen this before either.

Anyway, happy to add this nice shell (now a complete cartridge) to the collection. It's very clean inside and the inside top shows reworking marks where the shell mouth has been coned over after the pusher plate was installed.

Cheers, Graeme

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Graeme,

S Ltd. - Sheldons Ltd, Galt, Ontario.

The Canadian acceptance stamp within an 'O' - Material Transfer Mark (see last post) http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/91541-Maker-s-monogram-N-C-F-on-WW2-3-7-IN-HE-AA-shell? However, the only reference I've seen is in a 1943 publication, so this seems a bit early.

ACJ - Could well be a lotting code, or might be a code to identify the steel producer. Canadian companies were initially identified by a single letter, then changed to two letters, American companies two or three letters.

TimG

Thanks again Tim. Yes the material transfer mark seems a plausible explanation as does the steel supplier. It’s common on Australian shells to stamp the steel supplier.