What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6Pr SAP

Krt7.92

DSCN4354.JPGDSCN4355.JPG
Hello,

I've got this 6Pr projectile. Some questions:
-Is the paint original? If yes: meaning of the colours? If not: which are the original colours?
-Can someone explain the stamps on the fuze base?
-Age or period of use of this projectile?

Thanks!

Hi,
Are there any visible stampings on the side of the shell? It looks like it is for the 6-Pdr Hotchkiss. The paint scheme looks a little odd, but there were a lot of changes at various times.

Yellow body means HE;
Red band means filled;
White band means steel.
I suspect the two black bands are supposed to make the white band stand out against the yellow.

Must say it looks very pretty!

Roger.

Should add that a TNT filling would normally be indicated by a green ring around the middle, with "TNT" on it.
R.

How deep is that cavity in the base? To be "SAP shell" there needs to be a worthwhile filling and that cavity looks no more than a tracer housing.

TimG

Fake,the only markings vaguely likely are the black/white(and then the wrong period), everything else is just to make it pretty.

I believe 6pr ammunition was made and issued for WWI guns in WWII for coast defence as we were desperate, they would have been painted in the then current WWII colours (?)

The driving band shows signs of wear and rounding ,yet the paint is unaffected in that area?

@AE501: no year stencilled, I've shown all visible markings in my pictures.
@TimG: There is a cavity which is about 15cm deep, it's more than just a tracer housing.
Should there be stampings on the side of the shell? If we're sure it has fake paint, I'm willing to remove it and see what's underneath it.
Can someone date this shell?

Greetz

Without a year the correct Basic Body Colour (BBC) is difficult. I do not think it is properly marked and if you decide to strip this you should find stampings, usually just above the driving band on QF Fixed projectiles. You can then find the marking system for the period and mark it accordingly. There is no SAP for 6Pr 7Cwt of WWII era, only AP, APCBC and APDS and of course nose fuzed HE, so I believe 2 Pounder is probably right.

It does not appear in my book. It is 1955. I should probably have had a look round in the forum. Thanks tankbarrell.
Oops! I forgot about this lot, there is the very SAP.
None of these are mine.

Attachments

• AP Carts mainly - 1.jpg
    AP Carts mainly - 1.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
It does not appear in my book. It is 1955. I should probably have had a look round in the forum. Thanks tankbarrell.
Oops! I forgot about this lot, there is the very SAP.
None of these are mine.

NICE 77mm smoke round. That one always eluded me.
Dave.

The number on the base may refer to the fuze and looks very ww2 to me, Bonnex might have an idea.
If this is made for ww2 use with HE the fuze would not be the same as for the older Black powder filled
types. Is that a C around the Broad Arrow ?

thought I'd google TNT filled shell to see what came up particularly IMAGES, some very good stuff there lots of Chillwell photos before and after the explosion killing 139 workers. No help with the paint scheme in question but well worth a look.

The number on the base may refer to the fuze and looks very ww2 to me, Bonnex might have an idea.
If this is made for ww2 use with HE the fuze would not be the same as for the older Black powder filled
types. Is that a C around the Broad Arrow ?

I am not absolutely sure about broad arrow in an oval. According to one of my 'decode' documents(WW1 vintage) for markings this symbol was used to show the steel had passed analytical and mechanical tests for Land Service.

Arrows with letters and numbers are typical of work marks identifying the inspector(s).

Unfortunately A3335 eludes me in terms of a design number but 'A' was used on 3 and 6 Pr to indicate annealing.

As for the painting of the shell, it looks good display piece to me even if it is repaint. It clearly has some age to it. Stripping it back and producing a pristine shell would I suppose eliminate any doubt that it is a repaint!

@Gspragge: it's a broad arrow in an oval/circle.

I'll leave the painting as it is.

Thanks for all the comments till now! All new info always welcome!
Greetz

Could be this shell. Gun powder filled.

Attachments

• F69AEC02-EB9C-451A-8E38-5105FD4C64D4.jpg
    F69AEC02-EB9C-451A-8E38-5105FD4C64D4.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 57
Norman,

The Broad arrow within an oval, is, as you state pertinent to the steel, it is a 'material transfer stamp' and found on forged projectiles. If the steel bar stock passes the various test criteria it is stamped as such and any projectiles made from that specific piece of steel are stamped to show the source material had passed the tests.

The number following the A is probably the lot number of the heat treatment.

TimG