What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

105mm Centurion Smoke Shell

Aden55

Hello everyone,
I recently acquired my first large calibre tank shell and would be grateful if anyone could confirm the following (or otherwise) that I know so far about it:

A British 105mm Tank Smoke shell. The projectile is dated January 1981 (pre Falklands War) and was manufactured by RLB - Royal Ordnance Factory, Birkley. The shell case is dated 1995 and was also made by RLB. The 105mm shell was fired from the British Centurion Tank fitted with the L7 cannon. They were deployed and saw service during the Falklands and Gulf wars to name a few.

I'd be grateful for any info about what the correct colours this shell would have been painted before firing and a photo would be even better! Could anyone hazard a guess as to how this shell survived in such an undamaged condition after
being fired? Thanks.105TK-055928.jpg105TK-055928_2.jpg105TK-055928_3.jpg105TK-055928_4.jpg105TK-055928_5.jpg

Last edited:
I have not found a 105mm Tank Smoke projectile yet but 1981 seems too late for the dark green paint. I say it should be pale green like the later 20 Pr smoke shells.
The case has 4 circles to identify HESH cartridge.Smoke case does not have these 4 circles. 390 fuze is correct.

Many thanks Ron3350, your info is much appreciated. So am I right in thinking I have a HESH case with a smoke projectile? Thanks again.

I restored one of these a couple of years ago. The body colour is BS381c 216 Eau de Nil and the stencils and filling band are BS381c 499 Service Brown. The metal below the drive band is left unpainted.

Wow that was a great job you did Mark and thanks for the thread and your help. I found a supplier of the eau de nil and service brown colours - Autopaint Huddersfield (ebay ID autopaint_hudds) that sell spray cans of these colours. I'll try and restore my shell some day when I've got more time and am feeling strong enough to handle the thing. Thanks again, much appreciated!

Fuze 390 Mk 3 is one of the correct marks of fuzes for this projectile. Had it been a Mk 2 it would have been for 3" Mortar.
The paint could have been scoured off this projectile if it landed in sand while still rapidly rotating.

Last edited:
Thanks AE that makes sense. It amazes me that these large rounds survive the firing without much damage, and are somehow recovered. Being a smoke round must help I guess - its not going to be aimed at a hard target when the round is fired.