What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German gain

Burney Davis

Premium Member
Can anyone identify this gain? It is very similar to standard German ones but I can't match it up with anything. There are two slots cut out on the top ring, four equally spaced raised 'bumps' just under the lip and what looks like two retaining clips for a base. Quite an elaborate construction.

20190318_154756_resized.jpg20190318_154808_resized.jpg20190318_154817_resized.jpg20190318_154832_resized.jpg

you show a KZ14 gaine for comparsion, not a HZ14/HZ05. The latter are bigger but they have the thread on the inner side which is not the case for your unknown part. I don't think it's a gaine but maybe some part where a gaine will fit inside? I think the four bumps were used to clamp this part inside of maybe a shell.

Last edited:
thank you :) My feeling about the size wasn't bad, but a HZ14 gaine won't fit inside. I think I don't have any more ideas… :hmmmm: