What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Book - British Rifle Grenades of the Great War

Millsman

Premium Member
At the end of February I published the first new book on British Grenades for nearly 20 years. The title is ‘British Rifle Grenades of the Great War’. Norman Bonney (Bonnex) very kindly wrote a foreword for the book after reviewing it.

Coverage in the book spans the early development of the rifle grenade by Frederick Marten Hale and the Royal Laboratories and on through the war. So the period covered is 1908 through to 1918.

The book covers all the trials and prototype grenades, both private and official and the service grenades. All photos of grenades are new and in colour. These photos sit alongside original patent, Woolwich and Army drawings which are in black and white or half tone.

The book is aimed at the militaria collector, museum visitor and grenade enthusiasts.

Here is a glimpse of the book.

Book Cover.jpgDSCN1151.jpgDSCN1152.jpgDSCN1150.jpg

The book sells at £10 GBP plus postage costs to UK/ EU / USA / Canada/ Australasia etc.

BOCN members can contact me via BOCN Private Message or direct on my e-mail

millsman1916@yahoo.com

I will put a listing in BOCN classifieds soon.

I've put an ad in the BOCN classifieds which gives more guidance for postage and packing costs.

I have just finished perusing John's book and have a couple of comments to add to his words above.

He has provided an informative and interesting overview of British rifle grenade development over the period from a few years before to the end of the Great War, and I think fair to say has squeezed a quart into a pint pot (or a litre into a demi-litre pot).

A unique strength of the book is a selection of well-composed, clear, colour photographs of both early Service and experimental grenades, the physical examples of which most people will probably never have the opportunity to see up close and personal. He has been very fortunate to access a collection that has been diligently and patiently created over several decades, arguably a National Treasure. For the photographs of items from the collection alone, the book is well worth acquiring.

In addition, while the name of William Mills is well known, that of Marten Hale is less so. The story of Hale has been waiting to be told, and John does a good job of introducing the man, his various grenades, and their derivatives.

For a price less than that of a Mills grenade base plug on eBay, definitely worth putting in an order.

In some feedback from Big Dave he asked what was the £ GBP worth in the first world war.

In 1914 a pound was worth around £109 at today's prices.

A Lee Enfield Rifle cost £3.15.0 in 1914 so about £408.75 in 2019

A No 2 Rifle Grenade at 12/- (twelve shillings) would equal £65.40 in 2019 so a lot of money for a use once item.

A No 3 Rifle Grenade at £1.5.0 would equal £136.25 A lot of money to shoot once - so it's easy to see the appeal of the Mills Grenade and the constant cost reduction by the War Office for the production of rifle grenades. The No 22 at 2/- (two shillings) was a bargain at £10.90 (in 2019) was a bargain.

Just got my copy of the book - a great piece of work and worth every penny. The photographs are superb, many of which feature grenades you can only dream of.

Just got my copy today.
I'm not a grenade collector (with one exception) but find this book fascinating.
THANKS for all your hard work John, well worth buying and highly recommended.
Dave.

Can you take orders and send some copies to SLICS with anyone going that way?

Hi Jo

I'll send them anywhere as long as someone signs for receipt at the end.

What's SLICS?

John

My copies arrived today and I've had a few minutes to look through it. Wonderful book with data and images of many grenades I've never seen before. I bought a couple extra copies that I plan to take to St. Louis next month. So there will at least be two copies for sale there. Thanks for the effort John and for the quick delivery.

Sorry, I was on the road yesterday and not able to keep up.
While not the best venue for grenades, SLICS is one of the largest gatherings of cartridge and ordnance collectors in the US. Normally lots of international attention, folks from 5-6 continents. Great show, great people. As much a social event as a show.
I am ordering a couple of copies, if attending the show wants a copy delivered let me know and I'll add it to the order, you can pay me then.

Thanks Jo - I'll include a supply of my postcard flyers for you as well.

Thanks

John