Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AE501 View Post
    The only double cannelured .303" bullets I have seen were from tracer rounds.
    They were double cannelured to reduce moisture penetration, the cases being cannelured into both cannelures or the bottom one was cannelured and multiple crimps were used on the top one.
    The cannelures also hold beeswax or lanolin which was originally for lubrication but was found also to aid waterproofing.
    Please can you tell me which Tracers you are talking about with the double cannular, the only one I know of is the DI Tracer which has a normal cannular and then a knurled ring around higher up for identification. I have a lot of original drawings but none with a double cannular.

Richard.
    Last edited by peashooter; 31st March 2019 at 12:19 AM.

BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawy View Post
    Hi Justin,thanks for the imput,I've also got the same rnd. Trouble is its 1.2830in the Brit rnd is 1.2600, not sure why. I'll put some photos up soon. I don't think US rnds were used as separates in Brit munitions factories we supplied our own components to our own factories as far as I know. The rnd and case were made at GCF3 Blackpole Worcestershire. I've just had the rnd under a scope and it's possiblely got a P on it I'm not sure. Think this is one for litriture boys, if they used contract projectiles in home cases then that's my answer if not then I'm stumped. Regards Pete.
    Pete, which round was made at GCF£ Blackpole?

Right here goes with the rest of the questions :-)

Firstly, You have a Canadian Bullet in the picture, the one with the 8 point star/asterix but no Canadian case??
    Second, the Dum,Dum should have a D on the base if manufactured by the Dum Dum Arsenal, Calcutta But RL did supply componants to India. It is a very nice late headstamp.
    Last but not least, The MkVII with the double cannular is definitly a US made bullet highley likley Peter's with the P on the base. You have to remember that most of the US .303 was crap " Including Peters ammo" and was either binned, used for training or reloaded by the French, we supplied a lot of componants to the French and lots of Ammo. They either completly reworked the ammo or just added crimps/primmer crimps, the mention of the dotstab crimps would make me think it is a french rework/reload.

cheers
    Richard.

Thanks
    I have ten rounds, all headstamped U 15 VII and with double cannelured bullets. The lead bases of the bullets are stamped U.

gravelbelly

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Having looked at the photo of the base of the double cannelured bullet again, it does look like a P and agree with Richard this is probably a Peters bullet. The star and the S stamp on the other bullets are not consistent with the headtsamps on the cases, as Richard points out, so can we assume that at some point in manufacture/post manufacture the bullets and cases have got mixed? No idea how or why.
    Gravelbelly's U stamp on the bullet base works as a Remington-UMC made bullet and fits perfectly with the U stamped case.

BOCN Supporter
    Images
    Thanks
    If it is an "S" then it is a bit odd normally Dum Dum would have a "D" or an "N" for Northern curcuit, but it is not unheard off to have Kirkee bullets in Dum Dum Cases. But it dosent look like any of the "S" bullet base stamps I have seen the "S" is usually much more pronounced and there is usually a dot either above the "S" or to the right of the "S" dont know what the dot indicates. They are not joined that that looks like an "8" to be or a very poor "B"

Rich

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12