What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Shrapnel Projectile pre WW1

ron3350

I ask for help with this early Japanese army shrapnel projectile. The only markings are on the adaptor and fuze.
Fuze date is Meiji 38 or January 1905. Osaka arsenal.
Originally it was a trench-art display with four type 30 or 38?unfired empty cases, no-headstamped 6.5mm bevelled rim and domed primers that were soldered at 90 degrees around the driving band.

Projectile is 200mm long or 212mm long including the adaptor.
13mm wide driving band. 11mm from base to start of driving band. 255mm overall with the fuze.
Also what case length and gun would use this projectile?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

I forgot to mention that they are 75mm projectiles. No4 is the 1905 date shrapnel shell listed above.
No 3 is a converted shrapnel to HE with conical adaptor and type 88 fuze. No2 is army HE type 94. No 1 is AA HE.
Any information on these projectiles would be appreciated. eg. No3. How does a HE converted shell get fired and not blow up? Came from Japan.

I would love to find a Type 94 HE shell in the USA, but I have not seen one offered for sale in the last 5 years. I have seen at least three 75mm AA projectiles offered into the market in that time. I have attached the British comparison chart from WWII for Jap 75mm ammunition.

Attachments

• Jap 75mm Comparison Chart.jpg
    Jap 75mm Comparison Chart.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 43