What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Approx. 120mm Armor Piercing Projectile

M8owner

Here is something new and interesting that popped up for sale on the internet. It is reported to be 4.75 inches in diameter at the driving band. It is 23 inches tall and weighs 55 lbs. It looks to be a APCBC-T. I would love to get your opinions on it.

Attachments

• Unknown 120mm projectile.jpg
    Unknown 120mm projectile.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 81
Part of it may be the angle of the photo, but it doesn't look right - too much taper. It also doesn't look 120mm in dia, where was it measured from? Hollow base? Any stamped markings? Looks a little questionable.

I think it is a drill projectile.

Attachments

• FF1D0346-359F-48EE-9037-247B2006A768.jpg
    FF1D0346-359F-48EE-9037-247B2006A768.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 45
A drill possibly, but not the drill you have indicated. As far as I recall that drill design was only used on the 155mm, 175mm and 8-inch. On all of the ones I've seen the cap is actually steel, though under the standard color code it could be painted bronze/gold to indicate that it was not to be used in a delivery system. Here is a picture of the 155mm. I don't believe that the elaborate spring system inside of the larger projectiles would have been used on anything as small as the item up for auction.
The round is likely a 105mm, as his sketch indicated that he took his diameter from the rotating band, not the bourrelet, and the band appears to be slightly oversized. There were many drill variations for the 105mm, from all brass to all steel, so you are probably pretty close.

155mm TNG.jpg

Excellent, I've never seen that one. I've got the HE M65, another to hunt for.