What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Somali found No 36 Mills grenade

gothica7

Premium Member
A recent addition to my collection is a No 36 Mills grenade found we believe in the early 2000s by Belgian EOD in Somalia and brought back by them to Europe. Nothing is known about it, not even the maker of it, when and where, could have been made inSouth Africa, India, Pakistan or even in the Afghan tribal areas. No one knows. Its in very good condition and whats also unusual is that all the threads are metric, rather than the usual Whitworth. Also, not sure when it was made. Of all the plugs i have seen, 3 so far, all are marked with a 70 and an 81, so you get to guess, I am guessing 81 as it seems the right choice for me. Quite a rare bit of kit.

Attachments

• DSCN0309.jpg
    DSCN0309.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0310.jpg
    DSCN0310.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN0311.jpg
    DSCN0311.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Here's another one Andy.

This one allegedly came into the UK with a British soldier who sold it to a militaria / army surplus shop in Dover. I got it from there. It was offered to me as a basic 36 and it was only after I saw photos on Dave Sampson's website I could identify it. This was about 2009.

The centrepiece has been drilled out French style. It is also unmarked, as is the lever. I found the body casting interesting as it has a O below the filler screw, which is something I've found on many early No 5 Mills 1915-1916. The WW1 style brass plug is interesting. The body is of the same style as the. Indian and South African castings, and is slightly rough - lower quality than the South African bodies. Mine has less paint on it than yours.

Here's some photos.
SSCN1294.JPGSSCN1297.JPGSSCN1298.JPGSSCN1296.JPG

Not sure what to make of the data on the baseplug!

Overall a very interesting grenade.

John

Last edited:
no marks at all on mine what there was has been braized or welded over, under the filler hole but further down. Not sure at all about the maker, I have a friend who served in the South African Defense Force. All the Mills he threw were all well-marked SDF and none were green like these. He has asked for me on SA Military forums, had no replies. I am not sure SA would have used metric threads either which is a kinda giveaway as they must be of a more modern make, everyone else using BSW. It would be great if we could find out but I think ts one of those things that will elude us. Also, I didnt think South African grens had that straight lip that has been most certainly machined around the base of the body, longer yes but not quite the same.

Andy

It's interesting that the information with the Alamy image states it being held by an Italian soldier.

I found a report entitled Surveying the Battlefield Afghanistan Iraq Somalia dated 2011 online which states that 6750 grenades were found including Mills grenades mostly no 23s and 36s from WWI AND 36s from WW2 but says nothing about more modern Mills so I think we will never know who made or supplied them, At the moment we have nothing but conjecture and with the area being what it is, a war zone,I suspect will never find out anything about them,If the grenade bodies could be Xrayed then maybe we could see the maker marks which have either been removed or covered up as it is in my case.

Andy

I found a report entitled Surveying the Battlefield Afghanistan Iraq Somalia dated 2011 online which states that 6750 grenades were found including Mills grenades mostly no 23s and 36s from WWI AND 36s from WW2 but says nothing about more modern Mills

Sussed it. They stumbled upon Millsbomber's collection! :tinysmile_classes_t

Alerted by Tom I've found the body of my Somali 36 is numbered 333 79 on the side. Each number hand stamped.