What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boxer Fuze and Fuze Setter & Tools

Gspragge

Premium Member
I came across these today. Can any one explain the use
of the two wooden tools ?
The central sharp pin is missing from the hook, of the "Hook Borer"

Would the chaps at Fort Nelson be the people to ask about these?

Attachments

• BFS.jpg
    BFS.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 82
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 67
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 58
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 54
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 57
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 56
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
This is a really rare find. I have never seen stuff like this, also I have been looking for it for decades. You are a lucky man.
Bellifortis.
I came across these today. Can any one explain the use
of the two wooden tools ?
The central sharp pin is missing from the hook, of the "Hook Borer"

Would the chaps at Fort Nelson be the people to ask about these?

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Dear Sir,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Thank you for your enquiry. The wooden object without the metal attachments is a General Service Drift which was made of boxwood of differing lengths for use on different shells. The lower coned portion was formed thus to fit a General Service fuze-hole and used to insert a papier-mâché wad into certain filled shells. The purpose of this depended on the shell but in the main it afford some protection to the fuze-hole from corrosion to the metal thread when the shell was filled with explosive but not required for immediate service. This would presumably be removed with another implement when the shell was armed with the fuze. The other wooden implement with the three metal attachments is puzzling me. With its War Department stamp it may well be one of the many implements used in the Royal Laboratory or at other armament depots filling shell and preparing fuzes that has not found its way into the various treatises. I hope this helps part answer your question.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Yours faithfully,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Philip A. Magrath[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Curator of Artillery[/FONT][/FONT]

I came across these today.
These are amazing finds, I have sought such implements for my collection but never seen any examples, even though they would not have been all that uncommon.