What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Box Steel various - 6 Pr 7 Cwt

AE501

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Box Steel C264 Mk1 for 'True' rounds.
Box Steel C265 Mk1 for 'true' rounds.
Box Steel C286 MK2 for both 'true' and '6 Pr 10 Cwt 'hybrid' rounds.
If I appear to have made a meal of this it is because I met an obstacle. I was apparently trying to access a closed thread, but I may have it sorted.

6 Pr A-Tk Box C264 Mk 1 closed - 1.jpg6 Pr A-Tk Box C264 Mk 1 open - 1.jpg6 Pr A-Tk Box C265 Mk 1 closed - 1.jpg6 Pr A-Tk Box C265 Mk 1 open - 1.jpg6 Pr A-Tk Box C286 Mk 2 closed - 1 (1).jpg6 Pr A-Tk Box C286 Mk 2 closed - 1.jpg6 Pr A-Tk Box C286 Mk 2 open - 1 (1).jpg6 Pr A-Tk Box C286 Mk 2 open - 1.jpg

I used to see the type of lid that you have there, as scrap in the returned empty packages group at the ammunition depot I was in, in the late 1950s. This type of lid was the type used early during WWII but they were superseded by the type of lid shown in my plates. The type shown in Lcplcombat's List of Ammunition Packages is the same as yours.

I had assumed that type of lid closure was specific to Commonwealth produced boxes. In the case of my two, Canada and Australia respectively. The handwheel type certainly lasted a long time in British packaging. It is certainly an improvement over the screw type lid fastener and would be cheaper to make so it makes sense if it were a date change.

I think you are probably right about Canada and Australia.
I never saw them on a package only as scrap lids for non retention.
I forgot to say Primer Clips No. 36 or 42.
I apologise for putting these 17 Pr plates in the wrong post.

Attachments

• 17 Pr Cartridges various Fig2 - 1.jpg
    17 Pr Cartridges various Fig2 - 1.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 17 Pr Cartridges various Fig3 - 1.jpg
    17 Pr Cartridges various Fig3 - 1.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Dear tankbarell.

I hope you'll forgive me for using my first post to ask you a question regarding these containers. Basically I'm helping my friend who owns two 6 pdr anti-tank guns to track down one or more of these containers to complete his collection.

If possible do you know of any more of these containers that might be available to purchase please?

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to BOCN and I don't mind at all!
From your location, I assume Rob A? I know another Rob with two 6 pdrs too, must be something about Roberts!
I don't know a source of the boxes, Australia seems to be the best place to look. I understand a friend is looking into having them made in the UK, though I don't know how far that has progressed.

Hi Matt, welcome to BOCN and I don't mind at all!
From your location, I assume Rob A? I know another Rob with two 6 pdrs too, must be something about Roberts!
I don't know a source of the boxes, Australia seems to be the best place to look. I understand a friend is looking into having them made in the UK, though I don't know how far that has progressed.

Tankbarrell. Thanks for the reply, and yes Rob A, small world isn't it. Although I should not have been surprised someone on here knows Rob, as he's a bit OCD when it comes to bits for his guns :bigsmile: There's me thinking I've found a new resource to tap into that might be able to assist in finding the near unobtainable item for Rob's collection.

I restored Robs latest 6 pdr! I'm much the same though, I try to collect all the accessories for my guns too.

They are surprisingly heavy on the trails, I've just finished my 17 pdr and that is easier to pick up, though harder to move any distance!