What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 inch 50 cal star shell cutaway

mach1bang

Thought I'd show this,never seen a star projectile for this caliber before,and I love cutaways.
Bought projectile from a member on this forum.I found and cut the case for it.
Fuze and projectile dated 1943,case dated 1944.
Nice to see parachute intact.
Tim.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 58
Nice cutaway. Your case looks like a 3 inch Army case though. The Army did use Navy Illuminating projectiles, but only in the 76mm gun M26/M26B1 straight case.

Nice job. Is there pictures of the casing base? Cheers, Bruce.

Sorry to say, but the answer is yes, you have cut a good case for nothing. Your case is U.S. Army Antiaircraft or M10 Dank destroyer. Your bullet is of course Navy. 3 inch 50 cal Navy cases are larger diameter and more rounded at the shoulder.

Since the case is dated 43, it is most likely Antiaircraft.

Last edited:
Sorry to say, but the answer is yes, you have cut a good case for nothing. Your case is U.S. Army Antiaircraft or M10 Dank destroyer. Your bullet is of course Navy. 3 inch 50 cal Navy cases are larger diameter and more rounded at the shoulder.

Since the case is dated 43, it is most likely Antiaircraft.
Thanks Hazord.
Oh well,
I feel a bit stupid as I should have noticed no naval markings on case,and not stamped 3 inch 50cal.
Pictured here next to a 3 inch 50cal drill round,I now notice the difference in case shoulder,and yes the diameter of the drill is
slightly more.To the naked eye they do look very similar though and I had not picked up on that.
Tim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 25