What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm russian flares

Bellifortis

Hallo,
cleaning out, I found these 2 flare-cartridge bases. Originally these metal bases were attached to a cardboard casing. I would like to know : 1.) What type of launcher were these cartridges used in ? 2.) The triangel-stamp appears to be the manufacturers mark. Who is the manufacturer ? 3.) Does a list of these 40mm russian signal/flare-cartridges exist somewhere which describes the different models/effects ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.40mm Russian Flare Cartridge Base.jpg

Hi Bob,
I found these about 20 years ago in a burning pit after the russian garrison had left. The cartridges were not destroyed by fire, but by water. The cardboard casings were completely drenched, softened and swollen. I threw them away. In my memory they looked like star shells. The garrison was a tank-regiment. I wondered myself, because I do not know a 40mm launcher for flares in 1965-1975. That's why I ask.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Hallo @strakv,
very interesting. Were these devices used for signalling or as an early infrared defence ? I would transcribe your russian description to : ZKSP-39. Is that right ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Last edited:
It is transcribed as EKSP-39 (Э is E, З is Z). This is for signaling only, not a decoy. As i can make out from russian websites there was a gun for these cartridges as well, a direct copy of the US AN-M8 flare gun

Last edited:
Hi Bellifortis,
These Signal cartridges are referred in Russia as 39 mm cartridges. They are available in White, yellow, red and green, each with two stars. The triangular stamp is for the Krasnozavodsk Chemical Plant. These Cartridges are fired either from the EKSP-39 device, or from the Aircraft Signal Pistol ASP, a replica of the American AN M8 pistol.
I hope this helps
Horst
2 grün.jpg2 weiss.jpg

Hallo,
thank you all for your most interesting info. Meanwhile I measured the metal bases again and the exact measurement is 40,7mm. I also looked up my traesured russian tome "Ordnance and Munitions"Volume 12, Moskau 2006 : The 21.Century Encyclopedia. There I found only 1 item that fits under "Ground based Signals, namely 39mm cartridge 57-SN-628 , which are offered in green,yellow and red. There are many 26,5mm cartridges in this catalog, but also 41mm ones. Together with the 2 bases shown above I found 1 of 26,5mm. Foto below. Theses all are from the 1960s-1970s. What do you make of my measurement of 40,7mm ?
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Attachments

• Russ. 26,5mm Flare.jpg
    Russ. 26,5mm Flare.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 10