What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Torpedo Parts?

SimonBrown

Premium Member
A friend of mine is sorting out his garage and has a lot of torpedo parts - they will be for sale and available and will post up some pictures soon - but this item is defying identification:

SBrown-20190323-0016.jpg

its approx 7" in diameter and is made of bronze.

This item has "Pointer End. Flush - Dets Out. Down - Dets In" cast into it, so presumption is a means of setting and indicating if torpedo is armed, but the exact function and type is not known:

SBrown-20190323-0006.jpg

Again, made of bronze and the curvature of the outer flange appears to be close to or exact match for 21".

If anyone needs to see specific areas then just ask.

The pistol is really nice! I have seen a few of them for sale over the years. Super cool artifact.

Jason

That was mine!

Attachments

• Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 01.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 01.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 02.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 02.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 03.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 03.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 04.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 04.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 05.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 05.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 06.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 06.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 07.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 07.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 09.jpg
    Engl. Torpedozünder Mk.1 09.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 24
I believe this type of torpedo fuze is called, "CCR." The, "CC" stands for, "Compressed Coil," but I forgot what the, "R," stands for.

Jason

"CCR" = Compensated Coil Rod

The failure of the World War II British Magnetic Pistol called Duplex Coil Rod (DCR) was well known. Although successful at the raid on the Italian fleet at Taranto, it generally proved unsatisfactory but remained in service until 1943.
Its replacement, the CCR (compensated coil rod) with amplifier, was much better, but liable to microphony (fraternal kill) from nearby explosions or vibration if the torpedo broke the surface. CCRs used in the Far East were also found to be greatly affected by heat. CCR did not become standard on 21" (53.3 cm) torpedoes until January 1945 and the 18" (45 cm) version for aircraft was never developed sufficiently enough to enter service.

INCREDIBLE historical information and research, Drew! Thank you for the insight and correction.

Jason

INCREDIBLE historical information and research, Drew! Thank you for the insight and correction.

Jason

Hi Mate,

The other interesting note re these pistols, due to the unreliability of both the DCR /CCR functionality, they were just "set" to explode on contact - "IMPACT ONLY" was red stenciled on the contact only modified ones as shown with the AWM example

Attachments

• 5982471.JPG
    5982471.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 23
Actually one of the ones I saw for sale many years ago had that Red Stenciling on it :) Amazing HISTORY, thank you!

Jason

See also on this forum [h=2]Pistols for 18 inch and 21 inch torpedoes[/h]