What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pak36 37mm casing question

Jb4046

hey guys. I picked this alright condition German 37mm pak casing the other day. i tried searching through this forum for the answer to my question but yielded nothing.

My question is, Why is the base of the casing made of steel and why are there 4 holes?

closest answer i got was a idea that it was for “training” or “material saving” . The training one sounds more possible as material saving in 1938 when my casing was made doesn’t sound right.

Here is a photo of my casing.

thanks for any ideas mentioned or answers!

Attachments

• 2DF2C1A4-F8B6-43AB-A525-4ACC2ED02911.jpg
    2DF2C1A4-F8B6-43AB-A525-4ACC2ED02911.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 1C4281EB-AB19-43E8-A161-309EFC7A55ED.jpg
    1C4281EB-AB19-43E8-A161-309EFC7A55ED.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 32
Hi Jb4046,
Nice case, i am not able to answer your question in relation to the bi-metal case or why it has four holes, but i have seen and had in my collection ones with this type and others with a more standard constuction. I was sure there was a thread on here discussing this but have been unable to find it. Hopefully one of the other members will be able to answer this for you.
Best Weasel

That is an intermediate case between the transition from brass to steel. It was done to save on more expensive brass - which all has to be imported as copper vs. domestically produced steel. By 1940, almost all German cases were made from steel. The four holes are for the tool to turn the base while the top and bottom were screwed together. If you look inside, you will see a special round nut with holes holding them together.

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...AK-36-3-7-cm-Shell-Casing?highlight=composite

Last edited:
Thanks for finding the thread M8owner, i knew i was on here somewhere. I have added a couple of tags to make it easier to find next time via a search, this is something that anyone can do weather you have created the thread or just read i, at the bottom you will on the right hand side see a box that says add or edit tags just click on this to do so.
Best Weasel

Last edited: