What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW2 4.5in 8cwt case

Vasco Da Gama

This interesting case turned up recently, not one I have found before. The 4.5in 8 cwt started life as an Army weapon, potentially to arm the Churchill AVRE tanks. This did not come to pass and the Navy then took over development as a weapon to arm motor gun boats. My understanding is a small number did see service but after WW2. The case is unusual as it started life as a 3.7in anti-aircraft case before being converted to 4.5in. Length 249mm, rim 135mm and mouth 115mm.
Pictured alongside a 2pdr tank case for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Very interesting; have never seen one of these before.

What projectile went with it? Surely not the standard 4.5" Naval Gun shell? Does anyone have a photo or drawing of the complete round?

Roger.

So a repurposed 6 pdr 7cwt box. I wondered if it were the original use for the C320 as I haven't been able to find out what that was for.

The C320 was used with the Cartridge 105mm L7 Tank gun Paper Shot but I do not know about the 20 Pr .