What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW1 12pdr 8cwt case

Vasco Da Gama

Just moving a few things around and case across this case, posted just for interest in the number of markings on the base! Pictured alongside a training round for the same gun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 44
A great case and can you please show the headstamp of the wooden Drill round. It looks similar to my 12Pr 12Cwt Australian that I showed in wooden Drill Rounds.
What is the overall length? My 12Pr 12Cwt is 195mm long so I think this wooden Drill would fit either weapon.

My understanding is the 12pdr 8cwt was the standard boat and landing gun in the 1890s, it also armed River class destroyers and some submarines. Pictured is a more normally marked case, initially dated 1894. The 8cwt case is shorter than the more usually encountered 12 cwt, length 202mm, rim 104mm and mouth 88mm. The shorter training round is also marked for the 12cwt version, but I am surprised as there is a considerable difference. The 12cwt training round is a reused ww1 item. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg