What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17Pr AP?

Krt7.92

I believe this is a 17Pr AP-projectile? About 27,5cm long, 75mm dia. It has been repainted, no markings visible due to the paint i believe. The coloured tip seems to be of another composition than the steel body or does it mis an ballistic cap?
Any idea about identification is most welcome: type, period, original marking, drawing...
Greetz17PrAPshot (1).JPG17PrAPshot (2).JPG

I just bought this projectile. Now I have a discussion with a friend of mine who says it cannot be a 17 pounder and it is probably a fake or -at best- an experimantal projectile. I told him that it was the first type of 17 pounder AP-T designed and used, very soon to be replaced with the APC, as the APC did not have the tendancy to shatter upon impact. He showed me his AP-T, but I am shure that what he showed me was a APC with the cap removed. The AP-T is much longer than the APC with the cap removed, which is quite short.
Does anybody have a British wartime description or service manual describing the 17 pounder AP-T? Than at least I can prove I am right.
Thanks in advance, regards, DJH

Last edited:
A.P.C. Mk IT length 9.71 inches
A.P. Mk IIT length 10.14 inches
A.P. Mk IIIT length 10.18 inches
A.P.C. Mk IVT length 9.73 inches
Practise Shot Mk IT to VIT length 10.09 inches

The total length of the projectile is exactly 275 mm or 10,82 inch long. Experimental? Very early design?
Thanks in advance,
Regards, DJH

Last edited: